This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.2). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."
  • Page:

TOPIC:

mcrypt_create_iv 5 years 2 weeks ago #1

• richpat
  • richpat's Avatar Topic Author
I am halfway thru upgrade to webtrees 1.7.3 at www.pheadirean.com and I cannot logon as administrator

Process throws following error --> #0 unknown:unknown ErrorException("mcrypt_create_iv() [function.mcrypt-create-iv]: Cannot open source device")

Full error sequence is:
#0 unknown:unknown ErrorException("mcrypt_create_iv() [function.mcrypt-create-iv]: Cannot open source device")
#1 /vendor/ircmaxell/password-compat/lib/password.php:105 mcrypt_create_iv()
#2 /app/User.php:407 password_hash()
#3 /login.php:236 setPassword()

code executed is --> $buffer = mcrypt_create_iv ($raw_salt_len, MCRYPT_DEV_URANDOM);

when I change this to MCRYPT_RAND to get new password, function works fine to send me password, but I then cannot logon

My PHP version is 5.3.6
Host is yahoo, actually AABACO SMALL BUSINESS; their website says they support mcrypt for php 5.3.6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mcrypt_create_iv 5 years 2 weeks ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
PHP 5.3 is ancient and since long out of support. The cryptographic libs in some 5.3 versions are simply put broken. If you search for other posts here about upgrade failed & can't log in, you will find more details.

Advice: upgrade to php 5.4 or later. That's on shared hosts in anyone's interest.
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

mcrypt_create_iv 5 years 2 weeks ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
we use a compatibility library to provide password functions in php5.3

this library no longer attempts to support 5.3.8 or earlier as it is not [possible to do so securely.

see note on front page of wiki. suggest reinstall 1.7.3 and seaech forum for info pn resetting password.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

mcrypt_create_iv 5 years 2 weeks ago #4

• richpat
Thank you for your help. I read various posts on password issues related to this and subsequently educated myself.

I reverted to 1.7.2 and am now able to logon and continue with my upgrade.

[SOLVED] mcrypt_create_iv 5 years 2 weeks ago #5

• richpat
Problem solved.

• Page: