Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.4). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] what is the difference between TEXT, NOTE and SHAR

• jopla
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #1 by jopla
Hello,

I can add to a source a TEXT, NOTE and SHARED NOTE.
see:

Can anybody explain me what the difference is between them and when you will use them?

Thanks,

Jop
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic what is the difference between TEXT, NOTE and SHAR
TEXT is the transcript of a source. It is only used in source citations.

NOTE is an inline comment. Typically, notes are comments about the data, not the data itself. For example, comments on conflicting or missing data, assumptions, etc.

A shared note is a note that can be used in one or more places. It is a pointer to a note record. If you update the note record, then every link to it also gets updated. The "census assistant" module uses shared notes to record the transcript of the census. This allows a single transcript to be linked to every individual in the census. Semantically, this is not quite right, and the transcript belongs in the TEXT field. However, GEDCOM does not allow you to link an event (e.g. census) to multiple individuals, so this a compromise.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
7 years 10 months ago #3 by Jackie
Hi Jop,

You may download(or print) in your computer the "GEDCOM standard 5.5.1" document for future references. That document explains in details the meaning of all tags. It is available on the Wiki : wiki.webtrees.net/w/images-en/Ged551-5.pdf

• jopla
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #4 by jopla
@fisharethebest:
Thanks for the clear explanation. I think that I understand the difference now.

@Jacky:
Thanks for the tip. The document is 101 pages. it is quite technical for me. Searching on NOTE or TEXT gave so many results that I lost my way ...

• jopla
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #5 by jopla
Problem solved.