This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.4). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."
  • Page:

TOPIC:

missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #1

• csprick
  • csprick's Avatar Topic Author
I have a new install of WT1.7.4. I uploaded an image and for some reason, a thumbnail wasn't created. Now, the media manager returns an error (500). I'm happy to put the thumbnail in the right directory, but I don't have permissions for that (owner=nobody).

Any suggestions for how to fix this up?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #2

• thomas52
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
When you add an image to an individual, the image is linked to the individual and placed in the /data/media folder. When you access that page, the thumbnail is created automatically in the /data/media/thumbs folder.
IIRC, all the folders should have "0755" permissions. The appropriate permissions should be set when you install webtrees.
If you loaded the wrong image or changed the image for some reason, you can delete the thumbnail, and a new one is created automatically.
Try renaming the image and "Add a new media object" to the individual using the new image name.
Otherwise... Have you changed any of the folders, folder names, or permissions? Can you access the website via FTP? Can you access the media folder?
"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #3

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Another possibility is that the image was very large - and your server doesn't have enough memory to process it.

There may be an error message confirming this in your webserver (not webtrees) error log.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #4

• csprick
Thanks for the replies. The data directory is 777. The media and thumbs directories are 755. Files in media are 644.
The owner of the image is 65534 (nobody), so I can't manipulate it via FTP.
The original image was only 1.3MB. I had uploaded several other files just before this and they all worked fine. When I uploaded this one, I had a spinning wait cursor. Not sure if it finished before I moved to another page.

The problem now is that the media manager page won't even load. It gives me this error:
DataTables warning: table id=media-table-d2d799......04cae - Ajax error. For more information about this error, please see datatables.net/tn/7
That link says that to check the browser console which says that this is a 500 - internal error.
I'm happy to delete this image, but don't know how, or how to delete the link in the tables.

Thanks again,
Cyle

missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #5

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> The original image was only 1.3MB

The size of the file (in bytes) is of no relevance. It is the size of the image (in pixels) that determines how much server memory will be required to resize it to create the thumbnail. A modern digital photo can be 4000x3000 pixels. This will require approx 4000 x 3000 x 4 = 48MB to hold the image in memory.

> The problem now is that the media manager page won't even load.

I guess it is stuck trying to generate the thumbnail.

> this is a 500 - internal error.

Your server can be configured to display errors on-screen, in a logfile (or both, or neither). If you can find your server error logs, I guess it would simply confirm the out-of-memory error.

The data directory is 777. The media and thumbs directories are 755. Files in media are 644.
The owner of the image is 65534 (nobody), so I can't manipulate it via FTP.

Some servers run scripts as the file owner (i.e. you).

Others run scrips as an unprivileged user (e.g. nobody, www-data, etc.).

This is why some servers need to make the /data folder writable by everybody (i.e. 777).

Since you can't delete the file yourself, you'll need to ask the webserver to do it for you.

One way is to create a simple script, e.g. called "delete.php" containing this one line and upload it to your server.

<?php unlink('data/media/whatever.jpeg');

Now, visit the URL delete.php in your browser, and the file will get deleted.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

[SOLVED] missing thumbnail 4 years 11 months ago #6

• csprick
Of course, use a php script to do it!
Problem solved. Thanks Greg

Last edit: by csprick.
  • Page: