Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.4). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Fatal Error when trying to add Census Record

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #1 by csolon
Since I upgraded to the latest version of webtrees, everything has been working fine. Now for some unknown reason I am getting a Fatal Error when I try to add a census record. The message I get is:

Fatal error: Can't inherit abstract function Fisharebest\webtrees\Census\CensusInterface::censusPlace() (previously declared abstract in Fisharebest\webtrees\Census\CensusPlaceInterface) in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/144224/webspace/httpdocs/gedcom.augustacemetery-ohio.com/app/Census/CensusOfUnitedStates1790.php on line 21

The address of the site is gedcom.augustacemetery-ohio.com

The file in question shows:

namespace Fisharebest\webtrees\Census;

/**
* Definitions for a census
*/
class CensusOfUnitedStates1790 extends CensusOfUnitedStates implements CensusInterface {
/**
* When did this census occur.
* @return string
*/
public function censusDate() {
return '02 AUG 1790';
}

/**
* The columns of the census.
* @return CensusColumnInterface[]
*/
public function columns() {
return array(
new CensusColumnFullName($this, 'Name', 'Name of head of family'),
new CensusColumnOccupation($this, 'Occupation', 'Professions and occupation'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'White male 16+', 'White male of 16 yrs upward'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'White male 0-16', 'White males of under 16 yrs'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'White female', 'All White Females'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'Free', 'All other free persons'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'Slaves', 'Number of slaves'),
new CensusColumnNull($this, 'Total', 'Total'),
);
}
}

What can I do to fix this? The only idea I have is to delete webtrees and reinstall it, which I really don't want to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by csolon. Reason: Forgot to add file information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Fatal Error when trying to add Census Record
What version of PHP? I guess a very early PHP 5.4?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #3 by csolon
It's worse than that. 5.3.3 Everything has been working fine until now. Maybe I shouldn't have installed 1.7.4, but I first got the 1.4 version and I installed that. Then the program told me to click here to update, and I figured it must be okay even though I had read I needed 1.4 or whatever it was. I clicked, it updated, and I've been updating ever since. The program has been awesome! I moved from PhpGedView and was so happy after I did that. Even with all the updates, there have been no problems until now. I guess I'll have to (once again) contact the web hosting people to find out why I don't have the latest PHP version. Perhaps I have to do something when I'm logged into my account with them. They aren't very helpful and I don't know what I'm doing, so it's a dangerous combination.

Sigh. I take it I either have to update the PHP or reinstall whatever version of webtrees I was supposed to use with this old PHP. You have no idea how many conversations I've had with numerous people at myhosting.com, the company I use, trying to figure out why I can't get the latest PHP. I get the feeling they don't offer it? Is that possible? Apparently my only options are to change to another web hosting service or reinstall the older version of webtrees. Either way, I'll have to install it again, and that sucks. That's assuming that your question answered my question. I may be assuming incorrectly. The only thing not working is the Census fact. If you know an easier way to fix that, like changing some code in that file or something simple like that, that would be awesome. I truly appreciate your help even though I may not like the answer. Thank you.

More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by fisharebest
This is a bug in PHP 5.3 that was fixed in 5.3.9.

The lastest webtrees has some code that triggers this bug. We may be able to rewrite the code around it. We've done this before.

We have some automated test software which would have picked this up, but it only tests against 5.3.29. Hence we'll only find out about it when there someone who uses both (a) this version of PHP and (b) the census assistant module. I guess you're the only one!

I'll take a look and see what would be involved in fixing the code. It may be quite simple.

It would most likely have been introduced around version 1.7.0, and would just affect the census-assistant module.
I'm not sure you can roll back to 1.6.x There were some database changes that may not be backwards compatible.

FYI, this page shows the currently supported versions of PHP. php.net/supported-versions.php
PHP 5.5 stops receiving security patches in a few weeks. You should be using PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #5 by csolon
Since I'm the only one, you shouldn't go to the trouble of trying to fix the code. I need to find a different hosting company. I just went to the myhosting website, and they're still advertising they offer 5.3.3 and 5.2.17 or something like that. I don't know why they don't offer 7.0. I've been with them for over 10 years, but there is at least one other program I use besides webtrees that I also have to use an older version because of the older PHP, so I guess I'll shop around for another hosting company since these older versions are no longer being supported. I'm an old lady, but I may as well get with the times! Too bad my hosting service hasn't gotten with the times.

In the meantime, it really doesn't take that much effort to delete webtrees and start all over again using an older version. It's worth it. We love this program and can't live without it. I can create a new database. That can be the temporary fix until I find a good hosting company. But if you happen to stumble upon an easy fix, I'm all for that! But then again, I honestly don't want too much time spent (or really any time at all) on something that is only a problem for one person.

Any suggestions on a good hosting company? Again, I really appreciate your help. I thought my mom did something to the program. She's REALLY old and her mind isn't as sharp as it used to be, and she has had problems since we changed from PhpGedView. She can't handle change, but she keeps working to post information into the program. She repeatedly makes mistakes like typing the name of the source into where she should be putting the source code, so the source shows up in red with none of the information there that is typed. I repeatedly tell her how to do it, but she can no longer retain the concept even though ten years ago, she used to know. So when she was complaining about a fatal error, I wondered how in the hell did she do that??? I was really irritated with her on this mess because it was a mess where I couldn't figure out how she did it or how to fix it. I guess she didn't do it. I'll have to let her know it isn't her. I guess not all problems we encounter are her fault. lol Thank you so much for your help. Now I can quit banging my head against the wall wondering how to fix it.

More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by fisharebest
> Since I'm the only one, you shouldn't go to the trouble of trying to fix the code.

It may be a simple one-line fix. But I'm at work, so can't look right now.

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #7 by csolon
I'm not rushing to do anything at this point. If you happen to find a simple fix, let me know. Thanks!

More
7 years 9 months ago #8 by fisharebest
I've sent you an updated file which may fix the problem.

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #9 by csolon
It's fixed! Again, you're a genius! Thank you!

• csolon
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #10 by csolon
Problem solved.