Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.5). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Google maps and pre-existing non-active places

More
7 years 9 months ago #1 by CCT
I use google maps to manage the place hierarchy and have (some time ago) preloaded a very complete list of countries, with their flags.

Recently (after 1.7.5 upgrade) I added a location in a country that I had not used in the gedcom before. I do not think that the place hierarchy manager matched that entry to the existing (but inactive) place in the hierarchy. The country (newly entered into a fact/plac record) did not appear in the "place check" tab, until I imported place data from the gedcom. This created two entries for the same country, one from before (and still inactive), and the one I had just entered.

Is this behaviour correct?

Chris at genes.tronsmit.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by ddrury
No that's not the expected behaviour but it's not what I see.

As soon as I enter a previously unused place into a fact where that place already exists in the placelocation table then it is immediately detected and used.

Are you sure that the place exactly matches that already stored (Check by using the Geographic data tab and going down the place hierarchy until you reach your two places

--
Dave

Local: Win 11 Pro, WSL2/Ubuntu20.04.4, Apache 2.4.51, PHP 7.4.26/8.1.7, MySQL 8.0.27
Production: Litespeed 8.0.1, PHP 8.1.9, MySQL 8.0.26

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #3 by CCT
I added a burial event for a not used place (in my case I used Algeria - start of alphabet and I should be able to spell it correctly)

You are right, this did show Algeria now in the "Geographic data" tab for used places, however it did not show up on the "Place check" tab (even with show fully matched places, selected). So I added a second level place (Algiers) to the fact/plac record to no avail. It still does not show up in the "Place check" tab, and the 'geographic data" tab shows that it is only a top level entry. Also, clicking on the link "Algiers, Algeria" takes me to N0 E0, and not to Algeria as I would have expected.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by CCT. Reason: more specific

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by thomas52
Replied by thomas52 on topic Google maps and pre-existing non-active places
Sometimes the place will have a trailing space, i.e. "Algeria " so be alert for this & correct where needed.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

More
7 years 9 months ago #5 by CCT

thomas52 wrote: Sometimes the place will have a trailing space, i.e. "Algeria " so be alert for this & correct where needed.

Thanks! Yes, removing the space at the end is all it took.

More
7 years 9 months ago #6 by CCT
Problem solved.