Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.8). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question FAQ according to assigned role and help

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #1 by potain
Hello

I have separate trees (thanks ToyGuy) for visitors and members and was wondering if one can assign a different FAQ page according to members' roles?

I ask because contextual help does not seem to be available in webtrees for users (sorry to compare with PGV where a pop-up window appears when you click in the help icon - and where there is a Help Menu available to visitors). I'd like to direct users according to their role to a relevant page in the Wiki rather than a composing a huge FAQ page.

Reading the Create Site FAQ page on the Wiki a Help menu is only added after having created a FAQ page. Have not tried it yet.

The creation of FAQs seems to be controlled in Module administration and by the looks of it applies across the board, does that mean that you cannot assign separate FAQs to different trees or to take it further to only have the relevant FAQ appear according to assigned roles in different trees? Hope that makes sense.

Visitors don't need one, so there is no need for a FAQ menu item for them.

A simple one for members, more detailed ones for editors and managers so that they can more readily understand thier role and access rights.

I suppose what I am asking is if in the custom theme.php file a function can be added that only loads the relevant FAQ link according to their roles?

BTW - The demo-stable website is showing this error:

home/webtrees/dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/app/Statement.php:82 SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'webtrees.wtstable_block' doesn't exist #0 /app/Statement.php:82 PDOException("SQLSTATE[42S02]: Base table or view not found: 1146 Table 'webtrees.wtstable_block' doesn't exist") #1 /app/Functions/FunctionsDb.php:1016 execute([array]) #2 /index.php:47 getTreeBlocks(1)

Novice in all webtrees matters and in every respect

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #2 by potain
Replied by potain on topic FAQ according to assigned role and help

The creation of FAQs seems to be controlled in Module administration and by the looks of it applies across the board, does that mean that you cannot assign separate FAQs to different trees

Visitors don't need one, so there is no need for a FAQ menu item for them.

Please ignore, I've just discovred the FAQ options under the Menu Module.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
7 years 4 months ago #3 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic FAQ according to assigned role and help
Why would VISITORS not need an FAQ? Frankly, IMHO, VISITORS are the prime target for FAQ information.

I require that my potential users read the FAQs and affirm:
1) our privacy policies,
2) our terms and conditions of use (as specified in the FAQs),
3) our GEDCOM requirements for sourcing information, and
4) MORE.

I would think you need to read some of the excellent FAQs attached to some of the 'old timers' and reconsider your POV.
(I was the instigator of the FAQs feature request in PGV. The module is greatly improved and more flexible in webtrees.)

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #4 by potain

ToyGuy wrote: Why would VISITORS not need an FAQ? Frankly, IMHO, VISITORS are the prime target for FAQ information.

The two most important criteria to me are:

1.- Privacy and security
2.- Preventing the purloining of genealogical data from the site by unethical/ruthless operators

This goes back to my very first post in the Landing Page thread where rather than loading the login page webrees loads the home page. In PGV I had as part of my Welcome text notices regarding privacy and usage policies. So therefore in webtrees the best place in my reckoning since it applies to all users of the website, the best and most appropriate place to have them displayed is prominently on the home page so that it is in plain view and also that no one can claim that they had not read FAQs concerning them. But also having a FAQ reiterating them can do no harm.

ToyGuy wrote: I require that my potential users read the FAQs and affirm:

How is this done? Do you have a separate page that appears prior to the Request a new user account page that gets users to agree to those conditions before progressing further and the application rejected if they choose to not agree? Or are you referring to the Notice that appears when Show acceptable use agreement on ‘Request a new user account’ page is enabled in Website > Sign-in and registration? Have you changed the default text?

I have scoured the Showcase sites paying attention to any containing FAQs but the 'old timers' ones I would not know where to find them and indeed who they are.

ToyGuy wrote: I was the instigator of the FAQs feature request in PGV. The module is greatly improved and more flexible in webtrees.) .

No doubt, ToyGuy and a great job done but in my opinion you need to distinguish between a FAQ system (which endeavours to answer potential questions/queries not addressed elsewhere and as you do in yours state policies, terms, condtions and norms) and a Help system which endeavours to assist users during the course of them using the program.

In that respect and in my humble opinion the contextual help in PGV is one the program’s best attributes and features and it’s a pity that it has not been continued in webtrees (as far a I can ascertain). Not to be inquisitive or contentious or cheeky , may I ask what the design imperative was in abandoning it?

I hear the cries of stop comparing between the two but nevertheless pertinent, in my view, to ask.

Preventing the purloining of genealogical data from the site by unethical/ruthless operators

Irrespective and regardless of any copyright or any statements regarding theft of data and legal action for breaches of such I can hardly see how effective these might be at preventing a skilled, determined and unethical person from doing so. Specially if they are in a country the other side of the world and subject to a different system of jurisprudence.

Back to the question that I asked - in the custom theme.php file can a function be added that only loads the FAQ link specific to their roles?

More
7 years 4 months ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic FAQ according to assigned role and help
> In that respect and in my humble opinion the contextual help in PGV is one the program’s best attributes and features and it’s a pity that it has not been continued in webtrees (as far a I can ascertain). Not to be inquisitive or contentious or cheeky , may I ask what the design imperative was in abandoning it?

1) a lot of it was outdated.
2) a lot of it provided no information.
3) popup windows don't work very well on phones/tablets. (i.e. >50% of all web browsing).
4) 99% of users never click on help links.

Any help text that was considered useful was moved to the parent page. For example, all the configuration settings in the control panel.

> Back to the question that I asked - in the custom theme.php file can a function be added that only loads the FAQ link specific to their roles?

No such feature exists.

Given that we have a "pending changes" and "approve/delete" mechanism for edits, I give all my users edit permission. Even if they just update one or two things for their immediate family, it is better than nothing. So, I would never need separate FAQs for members and editors.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #6 by potain
Thanks Greg.

Thanks for your honesty and openess. So many things to take into account as a developer/designer which as a user one doesn't consider.

Ah well it looks like one shortish FAQ for general instructions, maybe another for policies, terms, condtions and perhaps a third for more technical aspects like GEDCOM, definitions and the like.

Toyguy I would not want to be accused of plagiarism so may I have your permission to use some of the material in your FAQ page?

If you know of other examples publicly available for viewing which you feel miaght be of assistance, please let me know.

Cheers.

• ToyGuy
More
7 years 4 months ago #7 by ToyGuy

potain wrote: Ah well it looks like one shortish FAQ for general instructions, maybe another for policies, terms, conditions and perhaps a third for more technical aspects like GEDCOM, definitions and the like.

Toyguy I would not want to be accused of plagiarism so may I have your permission to use some of the material in your FAQ page?

If you know of other examples publicly available for viewing which you feel might be of assistance, please let me know.

Cheers.

1) Right - different sections addressing each of your concerns/topics. That's what I do.

WELCOME TO OUR FAQs LIST FOR MYARNOLDS.COM
WHAT ARE THIS SITE'S PRIVACY POLICIES?
WHO HAS PROVIDED ALL THESE DETAILS ABOUT ME AND MY FAMILY?
WHEN DO I NEED AN ACCOUNT FOR ACCESS? AND, HOW DO I APPLY FOR ONE?
WHAT ARE THE SITE'S GENERAL PRINCIPLES FOR DATA ENTRY?
WHAT ARE SOURCE REFERENCES AND WHY ARE THEY SO IMPORTANT?
HOW CAN I GET HELP FOR THIS SITE?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND CONTRIBUTIONS

Of course, it is easy to drop in a custom HTML block on the welcome page, using a dummy GEDCOM, and offer some if not all of this information and more. Too, you can add links to the FAQs you want to highlight.

2) Absolutely, there are many who have asked to use much of it as a template and I am happy to share. Nigel Osborne, one of the first to assist with the spinoff of webtrees from the largely unsupported PGV, and a terrific Kiwi, has some excellent FAQ ideas, as do many others. Those with multiple language support have gotten clever too. Just go to the showcase listing and you'll find some great work to inspire you.
3) Until I screwed up recently, yes I used a custom language/text file to alter the text on the registration page, mentioning some privacy requirements and providing a link to my FAQs. Maybe after the Christmas season, I'll put that back in place. However, I thank each person who registers and write them back with a list of requirements before their access is granted. Boilerplate stuff, so its easy to copy and paste, with just a few key personalizations. It contains much of what was on the customized account request page that somehow, I lost. Email me or provide your email address and I can send you a copy thereof for adaption to your procedures.

I'm sure there are many more who operate similarly and have their own procedures. Maybe in the discussion group, you could ask for some to post some of suggestions? Lots of clever admins out there and those that have filled their own needs with plugins and customized themes, like Carmen, only to share it with everyone.

I must agree with Greg. The maintenance of the contextual help was an impossible task and we discovered that it was rarely, sometimes never, used. The coders have pretty much decided to put their limited time to the best results, modified antiquated code, improving the responsiveness, reducing memory requirements, and adapting to and taking advantage of changing PHP without, where possible, leaving an unsupported legacy. For many of us who used PGV for years, it was a learning process to discover how much more flexible, proficient and attractive webtrees was and could be. PGV was simply getting long in the tooth and needed major rewrites to move forward, and there was no longer a base of coders to support it.

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #8 by potain
Thank you again Santa Stephen

The reason for raising the contextual help was my concern for members who are not so tech savvy like the older folks who may find it easier to click on the icons to get help. But as long as they know where and how to find the relevant information presented in a simple and direct fashion that's what counts.

Am actively going through the showcase again to get more inspiration.

Yes please send me your custom language/text file, that is next on my list to tackle and to be honest having downloaded and had a quick look at the PO Editors mentioned in the Wiki, I am a bit confused with the procedures involved in converting .po to .mo files and back again using the msgunfmt executable which looks like command prompt type exe (was never good with DOS type programs and hoping that POEdit has a GUI for using it). Will have to study it more deeply when the times comes. My email is shown in my profile but here it is just in case – mesforems(at)gmx.co.uk.

With the FAQ page I wouldn't mind getting a bit adventurous in maybe using an accordion arrangement but it may be beyond my skills at the moment to do it.

Onwards and upwards.

Cheers.

• ToyGuy
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #9 by ToyGuy
Please don't take this wrong, but you seem to wish to make every step more difficult than it is.

Don't muddle with custom language strings and modifying the POs or MOs. You'll have a problem with every upgrade and an overwrite of your work.
Use CSV or PHP modifications for new text:

wiki.webtrees.net/en/Custom_Translation#File_names_and_formats

so easy and fast, you'll wonder why you thought otherwise. Email me at webtreesmods at webtreesonline dot com and I can send you one of my old en_US.php files to review

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by ToyGuy.

More
7 years 4 months ago #10 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic FAQ according to assigned role and help

potain wrote: The reason for raising the contextual help was my concern for members who are not so tech savvy like the older folks who may find it easier to click on the icons to get help. But as long as they know where and how to find the relevant information presented in a simple and direct fashion that's what counts.

Rest assured users looking for help will either give up immediately, or if you are really lucky ask for your help. They will rarely / never click on help links or read FAQs. (Based on 15 years of using / developing PGA, webtrees, & kiwitrees).

Keep it simple (KISS), and avoid any alterations to the standard software at all costs. You will be wasting your time, not just now but through every update. Listen to Santa, he knows what he's talking about!

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #11 by potain
Dear Santa

Thanks my79spirit on deviantart for SuperSanta.

I am an ardent believer and follower in Kiwil's Keep It Simple Stupid philosophy and was just swayed by the " It is the format used by webtrees " remark that Gettext was the best one to use. I only want to add some extra text to the logout page and your additions, no doubt overkill in even considering it so the simpler and easier the better.

Be on the lookout for my email.

Nigel, I bow in reverence to your immense experience and knowledge and agree with you. It’s a bit like how many people actually read the manuals that come with their toys and gadgets? Not many I bet.

On a lighter note, all the other mods in the forum seem to have an avatar of some kind but not you. How come?

Not too sure what breed of fish, Greg’s got there swimming the oceans of code or is it cod (forgive the pun)?

Would you like and appreciate some suggestions? Would you prefer the fruit, the bird or indeed sheep, or some NZ emblem (Silver Fern)? Are you a rugger fan, maybe a fierce All Blacks hakka pose?

Only having some fun folks after all. the Season of jollyness and merriment is near upon us.

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by potain. Reason: spelling