Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.8). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Username and password not recognised after restore

• rdhs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 4 months ago #1 by rdhs
Hi
My site recently inexplicably became scrambled. My website provider restored the site to a week old backup. Now my username and password does not work. Is there anyway I can access the site or do I have to wipe it all and start over?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
7 years 4 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
1) Do you have a second account (for backup)?
If not an admin, you can use PHPMyAdmin and change it rights.

2) Did you use the REQUEST PASSWORD feature?

3) If you have trashed your email configuration too (then you have a bad backup - I would be worried), then use PHPMyAdmin to change the password on your account to the hash provided in these forum posts for PASSWORD. Access your site and your account and change the password.

4) Do a new installation (not erase your old one) and capture your U/N and P/W for that account and change it in your old setup using PHPMyAdmin.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• rdhs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #3 by rdhs
Thank you. I have now managed to get into webtrees but I only have the option to create a new tree all my existing trees appear to have disappeared but I can see that the media files are still on the server. I don't know where the data lives but hope it is there also. I am a genealogist and not a programmer so a lot of this is beyond me but could the connection between the data and program somehow been broken when the site was restored from a backup and if so is it possible to reconnect the two?

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Username and password not recognised after restore
> I have now managed to get into webtrees but I only have the option to create a new tree all my existing trees appear to have disappeared

Did you run through the setup wizard to create a new site - or were you sent to a site with your existing user account but no trees?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rdhs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #5 by rdhs
I think, but I am not 100% sure, that I was sent to a site with my existing user account but no trees

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Username and password not recognised after restore
> I think, but I am not 100% sure, that I was sent to a site with my existing user account but no trees

If you were sent to a new site with no user accounts, then my guess would be that you simply picked the wrong DB settings during the setup, and you have created a second/empty database alongside your main one.

BUT, since you have your existing accounts, these must be from your one (and only) database. If there is no genealogy data there, then I don't think there is anything we can do for you.

I'm not sure what you meant by "inexplicably scrambled". That situation *may* have been recoverable, but after "restored the site to a week old backup", it is hard to know what (if any) data may exist on the server that can be recovered.

Do you use the "upgrade wizard". If so, it will create a GEDCOM export of your genealogy data in the folder /data before it runs. If that's there, you'll have a copy of your data from whenever you last upgraded.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rdhs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #7 by rdhs
Thank you for your time and answers. Next time the site scrambles I will post here before restoring from backup to see if you can help.

Thank you again.

• rdhs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #8 by rdhs
Problem solved.