Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.8). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question census assistant

• Shemwell
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #1 by Shemwell
census assistant was created by Shemwell
I add a lot of census records with a media object (.jpg of the census) and use the census assistant. Occasionally I will add a census record only adding the date & location and a media object to allow me to zoom in on the media object before I add details. Once a census recorded is added it can't be edited to add a shared note using the census assistant, you have to start over.

If the census contains more than 1 media object you have to save and then edit to add additional media objects (for the same census record) and then add the additional media object to all linked individuals.

Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly?

Thanks,
Barry

Barry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic census assistant
> Once a census recorded is added it can't be edited to add a shared note using the census assistant, you have to start over.

That's how it was designed. It can create a NOTE, but not extract data from it.

> If the census contains more than 1 media object you have to save and then edit to add additional media objects (for the same census record) and then add the additional media object to all linked individuals.

Worse, after you have created the event, you can only add media to the event (CENS)- not to the source citation (CENS / SOUR) which is where it belongs. You need to edit the GEDCOM for this. It's been a limitation since the days of PGV.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Shemwell
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #3 by Shemwell
Replied by Shemwell on topic census assistant
> Worse, after you have created the event, you can only add media to the event (CENS)- not to the source citation (CENS / SOUR) which is where it belongs. You need to edit the GEDCOM for this. It's been a limitation since the days of PGV.

I guess I don't understand how it works...

In order to add a census event and a media object (pic of census) I should:
1 Add the event.
2 Add a source citation.
3 Add the media object. (in the source citation - not the +add a media object)
4 add shared note using the census assistant.
5 Save.
optional..
6 Edit and then add a second media object (if there are 2 pages to the census).
7 Edit the gedcom moving the 2nd media object under the 1st below "Source".
8 Edit all linked individuals gedcoms adding the 2nd media object.

But...
When I go to List - Sources
The Title shows with the individuals but no media object or shared notes unless I add the same source to the media object and go to List-shared notes and add the same source to the shared note.

Barry