Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Geolocation of Event Location Strings

• ndoggac
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #1 by ndoggac
Geolocation of Event Location Strings was created by ndoggac
Perhaps I am missing how to achieve this feature?

Is there a way to get the Google Maps to geo-locate from an event's location (comma separated) string, rather than having to manually add Lat/Longs?

If I put a location string into Google with "lat long" after it, every string I search for has come back with the correct lat/long value.

For example, Google Search: "Syracuse, Onondaga, New York, USA lat long" ....and it returns the proper lat/long values.

Can the Google geo-location API be leveraged within webtrees to return the location properly in the "Google Maps" tab?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ndoggac
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2 by ndoggac
Replied by ndoggac on topic Geolocation of Event Location Strings
Never got any response to this. Maybe I'm missing something obvious?

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Geolocation of Event Location Strings
> Is there a way to get the Google Maps to geo-locate from an event's location (comma separated) string, rather than having to manually add Lat/Longs?

From the GoogleMaps config pages, edit the location.
In the map, click "Search globally" or "Search locally". [*]
Select the chosen location from the map.

[*] To illustrate the difference, if you have "Paris, France", then "locally" means within France. Globally would also find "Paris, Texas, USA".

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net