Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question webtrees Softaculous Installation on server

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #1 by potain
Hello

I am finally getting to the stage of setting up webtrees in my server and looking for the easiest and most painless way to do it. I have a few questions to ask regarding the steps involved, please accept my apologies in advance if they seem elementary and obvious.

There is a Softaculous installation available on the server of webtrees 1.79 which looks like ideal for the purpose, has anyone used this method and found any problems with it?

Under Software Setup -> In Directory - it says with "webtress" already filled in:

"The directory is relative to your domain and should not exist. e.g. To install at http://mydomain/dir/ just type dir. To install only in http://mydomain/ leave this empty."

I am about to remove PHPGedView from the "genealogy" folder where is is installed and want to install webtrees in this directory. Should I delete this folder on ther server and then enter "genealogy" in this box?

Also delete the PHPGedview database through MySQL® Databases in Control Panel.

Under Advanced Options:

Database Name:
Type the name of the database to be created for the installation- it has webt110 - I obviously need to change this to the one on my local copy, the question is should I first create the database in Control Panel MySQL® Databases and enter its name here or let the installation create it?

Table Prefix: wts9_ - Can't remember what it was when installalling on my local copy but it does say for instance wt_block in the db - change it to wt_?

Auto Upgrade - check this?

Once installed:

Import the exported local database trough PHPMyAdmin on the server.

UPLOAD the GEDCOM file from my local machine.

FTP (I'll be using FireFTP though Firefox) the themes folder which contains my custom themes to overwrite the corresponding folder on the server and the media folder together with the pics folder I created.

Anything else needs to be done to ensure a smooth installation?

Last question:

I'll obviously be working on my local copy for any addtions/alterations - same procedure above to update the server copy?

Oops one more, should I copy the server installation in my xampp folder for backup / as a precaution through a Full Website Backup file?

Sorry for all the questions and many thanks in advance for your help and assistance.

Novice in all webtrees matters and in every respect

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic webtrees Softaculous Installation on server

potain wrote: I am finally getting to the stage of setting up webtrees in my server

What took you so long ? ;-)

potain wrote: There is a Softaculous installation available on the server of webtrees 1.79 which looks like ideal for the purpose, has anyone used this method and found any problems with it?

I did my first webtrees installation with Installatron: a simular automated installer that was available on my web hosting control panel, featuring the regular PHP applications such as Joomla and Wordpress. It later failed to perform upgrades, and that was due to some error they made there. Not really a problem because manual upgrades for webtrees are relatively easy to carry out: just unzip & use FTP to upload. The manual installation of webtrees is essentially the same: just unzip & use FTP to upload.

potain wrote: I am about to remove PHPGedView from the "genealogy" folder where is is installed and want to install webtrees in this directory. Should I delete this folder on ther server and then enter "genealogy" in this box?

You could indeed do that. Maybe rename the old "genealogy" folder first to "phpgedview" so you can have both running parallel. Or first install to folder "webtrees", test it first and later rename that folder to "genealogy" (after renaming / deleting the original ofcourse.) It's just a folder and you can move it around.

The only thing to take into account is that the folder name is also part of the URL you use to access the site in the browser. So your favorites list (and that of other users including bots / web spiders) might change.

potain wrote: the name of the database to be created for the installation- it has webt110 - I obviously need to change this to the one on my local copy, the question is should I first create the database in Control Panel MySQL® Databases and enter its name here or let the installation create it?

Letting the installer create the database is probably easiest and the least prone to error. I think you can use any database name. It does not need to be exactly the same as your local copy. If you pick a different name than your current PGV database name, they can happily coexist and the PGV Migration wizard won't be able to locate it.

potain wrote: Table Prefix: wts9_ - Can't remember what it was when installalling on my local copy but it does say for instance wt_block in the db - change it to wt_?

I don't think it really matters, as long as it's unique within the database. In your case I'd advice to let the installer create it, and after that import a SQL Dump exported from your local copy. Then using the same table prefix is essential!

potain wrote: Auto Upgrade - check this?

That's up to you. How easy is it to switch it off & on afterwards? Mind you, webtrees has it's own upgrade mechanism.

potain wrote: Once installed:

Import the exported local database trough PHPMyAdmin on the server.

UPLOAD the GEDCOM file from my local machine.

FTP (I'll be using FireFTP though Firefox) the themes folder which contains my custom themes to overwrite the corresponding folder on the server and the media folder together with the pics folder I created.

I think a better order is:
* First upload additional PHP stuff such as your themes & modules plus the data folder (containing your media)
* Then overwrite the database by importing it.
* No need to import the GEDCOM: this is already contained in the database!

potain wrote: I'll obviously be working on my local copy for any addtions/alterations

Personally I don't find it that obvious. I work on the online version only. If this is about your genealogical data, that is... I see no need to round-trip the data between several webtrees instances.
If this is about customizations: these changes / alterations are localized within the themes folder only / mainly so you only need to transfer a handful of files.

potain wrote: should I copy the server installation in my xampp folder for backup / as a precaution through a Full Website Backup file?

You should have some form of backup, preferrably made automatic on a regular basis. Most webhosting providers have this already in place. In this case you already have a backup locally. So I fail to see why copy it once again.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by bertkoor.

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #3 by potain
Replied by potain on topic webtrees Softaculous Installation on server

bertkoor wrote: What took you so long? ;-)

Good question!

Hello bektoor, thanks once again for your input and very helpful advice.

Discovered a whole lot of new ancestors but the archives site is vey slow and they then ran into problems with Firfefox and Chrome abandoning support for Java which they use for their database and displaying of documents. They are still working on it but I got fed up with waiting, so tomorow's the day.

Here's hoping then that all goes well and with the testing, thanks again to everyone who so kindly answered my queries and incessant posts.

Cheers.

potain

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #4 by potain
Hello again and Help!!!,

Well the Softaculous installation was abandonned as it insisted on only 7 characters for the db name. Uploaded 1.79 to the genealogy folder ater renaming the old one to phpgedview as suggested by bertkoor & ran the installation.

Error 1044 access denied for user got me for a while till I realised that I needed to give myself permissions for the new db on the server.

1.79 is installed on the server, data, themes. pics uploaded but when I run phpMyAdmin with the sqldump (Export method: Quick - display only the minimal options) from my local machine using the default settings it gives me this error:

Error

SQL query:

CREATE TABLE `wt_block` (
`block_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
`gedcom_id` int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
`user_id` int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
`xref` varchar(20) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL,
`location` enum('main','side') COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci DEFAULT NULL,
`block_order` int(11) NOT NULL,
`module_name` varchar(32) COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci

MySQL said: Documentation
#1050 - Table 'wt_block' already exists

Tried with new sqldump but keep getting this error and none of the tables are updated in the database.

Should I delete table 'wt_block' on the server and and try importing again from the sqldump?

Thanks for your help as I am stumped as to what to do next to solve this.

BTW - had to create a new Familty tree on server to see what was happening. Should I delete this before attemting a new dump?

Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by potain. Reason: not relevant

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 9 months ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic webtrees Softaculous Installation on server
> when I run phpMyAdmin with the sqldump (Export method: Quick - display only the minimal options) from my local machine using the default settings it gives me this error:

You are trying to create a table which already exists.

Two choices.

1) delete the existing tables before importing the sql dump file.

2) generate a sql dump file that contains "drop table" statements. It is an option in phpmyadmin. (Do not use "quick"!).

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #6 by potain
Thanks Greg.

New error and can't drop table:

Error

SQL query:

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `wt_gedcom`

MySQL said: Documentation
#1217 - Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails

Might it be best to delete the whole db, create new, blank one and try the import again?

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 9 months ago #7 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic webtrees Softaculous Installation on server
Either

1) you must delete the tables in a specific order

2) you must select the "disable foreign key checks" option when you create the dump file.

> Might it be best to delete the whole db

That would also work.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• potain
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #8 by potain
Hoorah!!!!

Started afresh with a new db and we are up and running - all loooks good, onto the testing and configuring the email etc...

Cheers and thanks again Greg.