Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Solved Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr

• mike@islandancestry.com
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #1 by mike@islandancestry.com
Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr was created by mike@islandancestry.com
I had a family tree, i exported it, i deleted it and then tried to import it. It has been calculating for 15 hours. How do i stop this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr
It isn't actually running.

The server process almost certainly died 14 hrs 59 minutes ago.

During the "calculating" phase, it is copying the GEDCOM data into a temporary buffer (wt_gedcom_chunk table) and also deleting the old data.

If you have a slow database, deleting the data can take longer than your time limit.

It often helps to repeat the import.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #3 by mike@islandancestry.com
Replied by mike@islandancestry.com on topic Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr
Hi,

The option to import is not available? Even after rebooting, signing out etc.
Attachments:

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr
Do you have access to your database using phpMyAdmin?

From the wt_gedcom table, find the numeric ID of this tree.

Then delete rows for this tree in the individuals/families/sources/other/dates/links table.

Then visit the admin page again.

Another possibility is that there is a problem with the database that prevents a row being deleted. (Record lock, corruption, etc.).

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #5 by mike@islandancestry.com
Replied by mike@islandancestry.com on topic Import family tree has been "Calculating" for 15hr
I deleted individuals/families/sources/other/dates/links table linked to ID 6. When trying to deltete the `gedcom_id` =6 i get this

SQL query:

DELETE FROM `<DB>`.`wt_gedcom` WHERE `wt_gedcom`.`gedcom_id` =6

MySQL said: Documentation
#1451 - Cannot delete or update a parent row: a foreign key constraint fails (`<DB>`.`wt_gedcom_setting`, CONSTRAINT `wt_gedcom_setting_ibfk_1` FOREIGN KEY (`gedcom_id`) REFERENCES `wt_gedcom` (`gedcom_id`))

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #6 by bertkoor

mike@islandancestry.com wrote: I had a family tree, i exported it, i deleted it and then tried to import it.

What type of export / import did you choose?

On import there are two options:
  • A file on your computer - takes more resources, is less efficient
  • A file on the server - takes less resources, is more efficient
If possible use a file on the server instead of uploading it from your computer.

NB: there usually is no need to delete the tree and create it again. Importing into an existing tree should take care of the deletion of data first.
But in case of your server limitations, I can totally understand you performed the deletion manually.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by bertkoor.

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #7 by mike@islandancestry.com
I chose "A file on your computer" i can try with the other option

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago #8 by fisharebest
> DELETE FROM `<DB>`.`wt_gedcom` WHERE `wt_gedcom`.`gedcom_id` =6

Do not delete from this table. I listed all the (large) tables that you should delete. There are others (much smaller) which shouldn't be a problem.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #9 by fisharebest

bertkoor wrote:

mike@islandancestry.com wrote: On import there are two options:

• A file on your computer - takes more resources, is less efficient
  • A file on the server - takes less resources, is more efficient

It is only export that has this difference. Download to computer applies privacy filters, etc. Save on server does a simple database dump.

On import, the difference is that many servers have a maximum upload size. The "file on server" option exists to get around this limitation.

Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by fisharebest.

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #10 by mike@islandancestry.com
I know this is painful, sorry about the questions.

I dont know how to re-import now. I get the screen when it says "calculating" then i get this

/<path>/islandancestry.com/webtrees/app/Statement.php:82 SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction #0 /app/Statement.php:82 PDOException("SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction") #1 /import.php:48 execute([array])

then it goes back to calculating. It does not show the menu with all the options for the family tree.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago #11 by fisharebest

mike@islandancestry.com wrote: I know this is painful, sorry about the questions.

I dont know how to re-import now. I get the screen when it says "calculating" then i get this

/<path>/islandancestry.com/webtrees/app/Statement.php:82 SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction #0 /app/Statement.php:82 PDOException("SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1205 Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction") #1 /import.php:48 execute([array])

then it goes back to calculating. It does not show the menu with all the options for the family tree.

MySQL maintains "locks" so that two people cannot update the same data at the same time.

There are timeouts, so that if one transaction takes out a lock, and then quits, the lock won't be there forever.

On a webserver, you want to keep these locks quite short, as nothing should take more than 30-60 seconds.

You probably can't change your timeouts (or reset them by restarting the database), but you can find out what they are by looking at the "variables" section in phpMyAdmin.

As the error message says, wait and try again. A common default setting in MySQL is 28800 seconds (about 40 minutes).

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #12 by mike@islandancestry.com
It does not give me the option to try again. I havent seen the normal family tree options on that tree in 24 hours.
It goes from calculating, to the error above, back to calculating. It doesnt even give me the option to re-import.

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #13 by mike@islandancestry.com
is there any method to stop"Calculating" showing up repeatedly? Every time i log in i see this. I never the the options to do anything else on the family tree. If i leave this it times out with the error above. Then i refresh it goes back to "calculating"
Attachments:

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 7 months ago #14 by fisharebest
wt_gedcom_setting. There is an entry for "imported". Change it from "0" to "1".

wt_gedcom_chunk. Delete all rows.

If this doesn't help, you'll need to look at any locks/processes in your database - using phpMyAdmin.

• Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #15 by mike@islandancestry.com
That worked a treat. thank you very much