Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Can't Log-in to Recent Installation

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #1 by Williams
Can't Log-in to Recent Installation was created by Williams
I have a personal v1.7.9 install (at the same hosting provider on a different server) that has been functioning flawlessly for many months. Am building a new website for a One-Name Study, and a couple of weeks ago installed v1.7.9 smoothly, configured basics, added several user accounts, imported a GEDCOM. Logged back in on a couple of subsequent days and did some tweaking, like selecting a default theme (Colours). All worked well.

I tried to get back in yesterday and again this morning, and no log-in account works. No error message; just reverts back to the log-in screen. I always create a backup full-admin account for things like webtrees, Joomla, PhpBB, etc., and I also created a few "shill" accounts to make the member list look a little better than empty. I have records of all usernames and passwords, so that isn't the problem...but none of the five accounts can log-in. Tried hitting it both with and without SSL, with no difference (a certificate is installed on the domain, but traffic is not universally forced by .htaccess or other means). Tried going straight to admin.php and logging in from there; no difference.

In both Chrome and Firefox, there is a microsecond flash of a second window below the log-in window right after clicking the "sign in" button, but it's too brief to read or screen cap. Nothing shows up in the error logs that I have access to (shared Linux serve, business class), and running an integrity check on the database comes up clean. The public site is viewable, searchable, and navigable: everything is normal except no log-in account works.

There's no valuable production data on this install, so I don't have a problem deleting the whole thing and starting over fresh. But has anyone ever encountered this, and is it a known issue with a fix? I looked through the Wiki and tried to search this forum...but no luck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Can't Log-in to Recent Installation
URL of the site?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #3 by Williams
Replied by Williams on topic Can't Log-in to Recent Installation
Hey, Greg. It's

Code:
http://casestone.com/threlkeld/trees/

FYI, I did see a post here regarding someone whose .htaccess was forcing SSL. Even though mine is not, I tried changing line 189 in session.php:

Code:
define('WT_BASE_URL', $protocol . '://' . $host . $path); // define('WT_BASE_URL', $protocol . '://' . $host . $port . $path);

Did that yesterday after messing with the problem for a while. Then today cleared browser cache in both Chrome and Firefox and gave it another go. There's definitely some message window being displayed at attempted log-in, but I'd be surprised if it lasts for 1/10th of a second. There's information in there, I just can't see it.

And I don't mind making public one of the "shill" accounts that was created; it has no editing rights, and I'll just change it later:

Code:
Username: isom Password: z5X--h2vN8

Again, there's no distress or urgency here. Won't be going live with the site until the end of the month. But it would give me the warm-and-fuzzy if I knew what caused this so I could respond if it happens once in production.

Thanks!

More
6 years 7 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Look in your database (e.g. using phpMyAdmin) for the table wt_log

Are there any recent messages there relating to the login attempt?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #5 by Williams
Checking...

Nope. Nothing related to log-in attempts...at least not that I can tell.

Last entry is a general query for a name search from IP 172.21.XXX.XXX several minutes ago that I didn't make. Otherwise nothing but "LATEST_WT_VERSION_TIMESTAMP" entries going back multiple days, all from my IP. All recent entries are user_id NULL; the last user_id "1" entry was back to the last time I was able to log-on. Last operations were to set "USE_SILHOUETTE" and "WATERMARK_THUMB" preferences.

More
6 years 7 months ago #6 by fisharebest
In your database, in the table wt_site_setting, do you have an entry for LOGIN_URL

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #7 by Williams
I do. It's specifying SSL:

Code:
https://casestone.com/thelkeld/trees/login.php

And now that I see the database entries, SERVER_URL is set to

Code:
http://casestone.com/thelkeld/trees/

No SSL.

Methinks I unwittingly did this to myself? Arrgh. Should I just try changing SERVER_URL to https?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Williams.

More
6 years 7 months ago #8 by fisharebest
SERVER_URL is for special cases.

Unless you know why you need it - you probably don't.

Delete this entry.

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #9 by Williams
Deleted entry for SERVER_URL and...

We're back! Logged in as admin.

Such a simple thing. Hopefully someone else might learn from my mistake.

Time to send Greg another small PayPal donation....

Thanks, man. We appreciate you.

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 7 months ago #10 by Williams
Replied by Williams on topic [SOLVED] Can't Log-in to Recent Installation
Problem solved.