Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Place and Address fields

• MartinK
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #1 by MartinK
Place and Address fields was created by MartinK
I wish to ensure that I am entering location data in a consistent manner that will allow future use of the Google Maps module.

Is it correct that in the place field I must always enter the same number of elements, for example;

Place of residence
Code:
town, county, country or , , county, country
but the address field is more free form, for example;

Address
Code:
22 Broad Road or 15 Big Field, Narrow Road

A person's home address would therefore be split between the two fields. Street number and road name in "Address", town, county, and country in "Place".
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by MartinK. Reason: fix typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Place and Address fields
> Is it correct that in the place field I must always enter the same number of elements,

No. Use the "natural" hierachy of the place.

It *is* possible to add gaps where there are "unknown" parts. For example, if you know that someone was born in "Newport, England", but do not know if this is "Newport, Essex, England", "Newport, Cornwall, England", "Newport, Yorkshire, Engalnd", etc. then you *can* use "Newport, , England". But since you will not have co-ordinates for this place, then it does not matter.

> but the address field is more free form

Correct. Historical addresses will often be description, and will not have postal codes, etc. Just enter the address as it was written in your sources.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• MartinK
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #3 by MartinK
Replied by MartinK on topic Place and Address fields
Thanks very much.

I confused myself looking at "Place check" within Control panel->Module administration->Google Maps.

I now see it is very simple. The last element recorded in the "place" field for an event appears at the first level, Country, for Google Maps purposes.

For my Irish ancestors, born in Ireland (the south) when it was part of the United Kingdom, ending "place" entries with "Ireland" will reflect where on a map a location is to be found, and also the political state from which historic records are now sourced.

More
6 years 4 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Place and Address fields
> For my Irish ancestors, born in Ireland (the south) when it was part of the United Kingdom, ending "place" entries with "Ireland"

For places where the boundaries have changed over time, I record the current place - if known.

So, I'll record the place as "xxx, Northern Ireland" or "xxx, Repblic of Ireland" - even if it occurred before the two countries were created.

But if the only information I have is "Ireland", then that is what I will record.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net