Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Limit to Number of GEDCOMs?

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #1 by Williams
Limit to Number of GEDCOMs? was created by Williams
Is there a practical limit to the number of GEDCOMs that can be used in a single webtrees installation? I'm sure it can't be dozens of them, and a bunch of very large GEDCOMs would likely make the server unhappy.

Purpose: I have a One-Name Study and the only GEDCOM right now contains information only about the earliest branches of the surname. Not recent generations, and it's editable by only a three of us. But I'm offering archival storage of personal, zipped GEDCOMs for members as a backup option, and a few of them have asked if their GEDCOMs can be editable for their own personal use. Would it do squirrely things to the database if 10 or 12 GEDCOMs were managed this way?

Thanks for the insight!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Limit to Number of GEDCOMs?
I've worked on one site with over 10,000 trees. There's no practical limit.

I've worked on sites with many millions of individuals. This does not cause a problem.

The thing that will make your server unhappy is having too many concurrent users. Many pages are quite CPU intensive. However, if all the data in the trees is public, you can really help performance by disabling the privacy checks.

The admin pages are designed for small (typically 1) tree sites, and can get a little large/cumbersome when you have many hundreds of trees - but they do work.

If you are *just* using webtrees to display a large number of read-only GEDCOM files, then there's an undocumented feature to help. When there are more than 250 (this number is configurable) GEDCOM files in the /data folder, a new "synchronise" option will appear, which automatically imports new/updated GEDCOM files and also deletes trees for which the GEDCOM file no longer exists.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3 by Williams
Replied by Williams on topic Limit to Number of GEDCOMs?
Exceeds expectations! And some really nifty tips! Many thanks, Greg.

The primary is public read-only with only (for now) three people able to edit; and since it's focusing only on early surname branches prior to circa 1850ish, I can easily turn off privacy checks. Never thought of that. Otherwise, I'd anticipate around 15 to 20 other trees max, and they'd only be accessible by the individuals maintaining them (and maybe viewable by a relative or two if they specifically ask for access via the member). So it looks like webtrees is more than up to the task.

• Williams
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #4 by Williams
Replied by Williams on topic [SOLVED] Limit to Number of GEDCOMs?
Problem solved.