This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] maybe silly but... how to add pets?

maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 2 weeks ago #1

• frogola
  • New
Please excuse this it's not super important but... prior to having kids my parents had a dog which they called their "first child". Lots of folks have pets [dogs, cats] which they treat as members of their immediate family. So I am wondering, since I ran across photos of my parents' dog, is there a recommended way to add information about non-human animals? Should I create a record for him? But that would create issues such as no "owner" vs mother or father, etc.

Anyway it just seems that someone may have considered this before but I can't find anything searching the forum. Maybe it's just too silly.

Frank
wt 1.7.9
The administrator has disabled public write access.

maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
GEDCOM has a "Property" tag, where you can list the possessions owned by an individual. I would do something like this.

1 PROP Spot
2 DATE FROM 1998 TO 2007

But if you want to create a record for the dog, then you can link it using a "Associate" link on the owner's record.

1 ASSO @I2@
2 RELA pet

> Maybe it's just too silly.

Maybe. But you don't have to be serious all your life ;-)
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 2 weeks ago #3

• frogola
  • New
Thanks Greg, I will consider pros/cons for property vs associates and go with one of them.

[SOLVED] maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 2 weeks ago #4

• frogola
  • New
Problem solved.

maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 3 days ago #5

• frogola
  • New
I ended up creating a new individual for the dog, so I could link it to both of my parents. This required adding a 'Pet' entry to the GedcomCodeRela.php file. How do you feel about adding this to the official source? Or will I need to manually re-add it after future upgrades?

Thanks for your consideration.

maybe silly but... how to add pets? 5 months 3 days ago #6

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> How do you feel about adding this to the official source? Or will I need to manually re-add it after future upgrades?

I don't think it is appropriate to add this, so you'll need to modify your own code after each upgrade.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net