Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Is it possible to attach media to a place?

• clivejo
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #1 by clivejo
In Ireland we have small divisions of land called townlands. I have some old maps of certain townlands which I would like to somehow attach to the place, does anyone know if this is possible and how to do it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 10 months ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Is it possible to attach media to a place?
I'm not sure what you men by "attach to the place"!

GEDCOM is basically setup as a hierarchical place relationship, specific to general.

However, you can make a place anything you want it to be, but some things will work differently when you do.

1) Are you a "round tripper"? or do you depend on exporting your GEDCOM to other programs? Most other programs have trouble with non-hierarchical or non-standard views of a place.
2) Do you use the Google Map module? The beauty of GM is that it works best when all places are neatly hierarchical. But it will work when they are not, it just will require more work on your part mapping places.

If these regions are "overlays" of modern maps then I would not put them in the place (I generally use current locations for mapping purposes) with notes regarding name changes so my viewers can find places today if they want to visit, rather than using a name that will never be found on a map.

The later point is the way I do it and NOT a suggestion that you should/must follow.

Ken

More
5 years 10 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Is it possible to attach media to a place?
I *think* clivejo wants to attach media objects (scans of maps) to places.

The GEDCOM standard does not support this - and hence webtrees doesn't support this either.

There is an extension to GEDCOM called GEDCOM EL, which adds places as top-level objects. This allows media objects to be added.

It is possible we may add support for this in the future, but there are other priorities for the short/medium term.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• clivejo
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #4 by clivejo
Replied by clivejo on topic Is it possible to attach media to a place?
1) I do download the tree as a GEDCOM and take it mobile with me.
2) I do use Google Maps and like the way it offers a StreetView of the place.

For example when I add a BURIAL tag, I can attach a photographs of the actual headstone etc.

So for a PLACE, can I add media to it?

More
5 years 10 months ago #5 by ric2015
Replied by ric2015 on topic Is it possible to attach media to a place?

fisharebest wrote: There is an extension to GEDCOM called GEDCOM EL, which adds places as top-level objects. This allows media objects to be added.

This is supported by my custom module 'Shared Places' . In the current version, you can also attach notes and latitude/longitude to places in a single location. All shared place data is then displayed wherever the respective place appears on an extended 'Facts and Events' tab (alternatively, for selected facts only - this is configurable).

Richard

webtrees 2.1.17 at cissee.de/webtrees2
Vesta custom modules (Classic Look & Feel, Gov4webtrees, Shared Places, Extended Relationships) available at cissee.de

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #6 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Is it possible to attach media to a place?

clivejo wrote: I do download the tree as a GEDCOM and take it mobile with me.

OK, that is round-tripping, which means you'd better adhere strictly to the GEDCOM standards.

clivejo wrote: So for a PLACE, can I add media to it?

In short: nope.

Longer story: in the GEDCOM standards v5.5.x (probably even since its inception) there are six main object types: Individual, Family, Source, Repository, (Shared) Note and Media Object.
These are the objects you can associate and relate with each other. In the GEDCOM world a place is not a first class citizen. PLAC is just a tag with a value within a fact or an event of an individual or a family.

What you could do is make a shared note for each townland and attach the map as a media object to that.
Then in some of the relevant families or individuals you can add a Residence fact and put the link there to the shared note.
If you record it as a Residence fact, you avoid needles repetition of the same information (assuming these people are born, married and died in the same place)

The same can be done btw by linking the media object, without the shared note, maybe try both and see what you like best.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by bertkoor.

More
5 years 10 months ago #7 by rola

fisharebest wrote: There is an extension to GEDCOM called GEDCOM EL, which adds places as top-level objects. This allows media objects to be added.

It is possible we may add support for this in the future, but there are other priorities for the short/medium term.

This would be a great thing!!! I would realy like it. Whishes for making PLAC a level 0 object is something what a lot of user wants, and it comes to discussion very offten.

And just a note - the data in googlemap module are also not compaliant with GEDCOM specification - and almost everybody use it.

Ladislav

Ladislav

webtrees 2.0.24 + ⚶ Vesta modules (from cissee.de/ )
testing webtres 2.1.5 + ⚶ Vesta modules
on PHP Version 7.4.28