This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: how to create a repo of scanned family documents

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 6 days ago #1

• snakeeyes
  • New
I want to build a personal repository of scanned documents from my grandmothers genealogical research, and then be able to reference to it from within webtrees. I haven't seen or heard of anything in particular that would allow me to do this, but is there away of accomplishing this?

Thanks!

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 6 days ago #2

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
It all starts when you add a fact/event to an individual.

1) Add a “Source Citation”, button on event/fact entery
2) Add A New Source, note the little + next to the Source entry field. Selecting takes you to 3)
3) On the “Create a Source” screen note the Repository entry field with a little + next to it.
4) Selecting that takes you to the “Create a Repository” screen
5) Entery your repository info and save
6) Returned Bach to the “Create a Source” screen. REPO number should be in the Repository field
7) Enter source info, save.
8) Returned to “Source Citation” and fact/event entry screen.
9) Enter data
10) Done

You will be able to reuse all of the REPO and SOURCE or add new.

EDIT: Then you can hang images of the scanned documents off the source, source_citation
Ken
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by norwegian_sardines.

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 5 days ago #3

• snakeeyes
  • New
This would in effect allow me to add a repository as if it were something like a library yes. However i what i am looking to be able to do is reference a collection of scanned documents that i want to store inside of my webtrees site. That collection of documents I would assume would be considered a repository. Or to look at it another way, I want to be able to collect a bunch of media objects together and call them a repository. Is this possible?

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 4 days ago #4

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
A repository is a repository is a repository.

What I mean by this is: it does not matter if the repository is a public library, private company library or personal library all of them are repositories.

To be more specific, in my webtrees environment I have a personal library set up as repository. Since I have a large number of books that I own as well as painting, art, personal belongings and photos all relating to my (or my wife's family). Each document, or photo of an artifact is scanned as "Sources" into webtrees and then associated with a fact for an individual.

Since I have a Masters Degree associated with Library Science I recognize that webtrees is not a cataloging system so I have another system that does the actual cataloging of the books and artifacts in my collection. I have a regular museum/library like system of accession for adding new items to the catalog that produces a accession number that is referenced in the source record in webtrees. You don't need to do this however.

In your case create a REPO for your personal library, create SOURce records for each of the items that you want to reference/cite as facts information.

Many of my relatives have been artists or authors and I have acquired either copies of their books, actual painting by them or taken photos of their works. These are all referenced as facts about the individual, sourced in webtrees and connected to my personal Repository.

Hope this helps.
Ken

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 4 days ago #5

• Shemwell
  • Junior
I think I know what your asking.. that's a different kind of "repository". I have webtrees linked to a gallery program in the album folder as a "repository" of additional photo's of a individual on my Album page. I use a filename on server to link to a tag in the gallery from webtrees to access only photo's tagged with that individual. This method could also be used on your Facts page by adding a Fact and linking to the gallery's url by a text, a citation in the citation details or even a media object in the Filename on server field. I read Ken's answer and it's probably much better than mine as he creates SOURce records for each of the items... I just had so many photo's it wasn't practical for me to do so.
Barry

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 4 days ago #6

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
Using "Gallery" is a good solution for storing multiple photos that are not genealogy related, I've looked into several of them for storing my very large collection of photos from my travels.

One issue to think about when using "Gallery" programs outside of webtrees is security. Do you want documents authored by your relative to be available to everyone on the web or placed behind a wall that can only be accessed by people authorized by you (via webtrees)? Since documents as GEDCOM Objects can be set up to be accessed only by webtrees authorized users this has some advantage.

It would be my understand that any links within webtrees to "Gallery" would require the actual image to be open to the entire web. I may be wrong on this account however.
Ken

how to create a repo of scanned family documents 2 weeks 3 days ago #7

• kiwi
  • Platinum
norwegian_sardines wrote:
Using "Gallery" is a good solution for storing multiple photos that are not genealogy related, I've looked into several of them for storing my very large collection of photos from my travels.

One issue to think about when using "Gallery" programs outside of webtrees is security. Do you want documents authored by your relative to be available to everyone on the web or placed behind a wall that can only be accessed by people authorized by you (via webtrees)? Since documents as GEDCOM Objects can be set up to be accessed only by webtrees authorized users this has some advantage.

It would be my understanding that any links within webtrees to "Gallery" would require the actual image to be open to the entire web. I may be wrong on this account, however.

There is an add-on module (simpl_gallery) that does this, is completely contained within webtrees, and adheres completely to webtrees privacy rules (if objects are also attached to indi/fam records etc). I wrote it years ago, but "vytux" does, I believe, still maintain it: vytux.com/main/projects/webtrees/

Implementation on my own site is: our-families.info/module.php?mod=gallery...=show&gallery_id=898 (note that link is not a webtrees site, so there may be implementation differences).
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at: