This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: How to manage non-existent countries?

How to manage non-existent countries? 1 week 6 days ago #1

• hme73614
  • New
Hello!
I have a problem with non-existent countries and managing them in Place Hierarchy. One of my relatives was sent to Great-German Reich during World War Two. I know the city they were sent to, but how should I write it in person's details - Germany or Great-German Reich. I have a similar problem with secons relative. He was born in Lviv when it was Polish city. Then in 1939 it got invaded by Nazi Germany and USSR. It became part of USSR until 1991 when it became part of Ukraine. Now I have information from all periods that I would like to add - how should I do it? Should I write Ukraine all the time, because it is Ukrainian city today or should I create many place hierarchies for all those countries?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to manage non-existent countries? 1 week 5 days ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
>Should I write Ukraine all the time, because it is Ukrainian city today or should I create many place hierarchies for all those countries?

I always use the name of the place "today".

* a place is shown only once in the place hierarchy
* it is easy to find on a map
* you know where to search for more information
* you avoid difficult political decisions when countries are invaded, divided, etc.

This historic name is always used in the sources. e.g. a birth certificate that says "Lviv, Poland"
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
The administrator has disabled public write access.