This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: webtrees on Xampp throughGoogle Drive or Similar

webtrees on Xampp throughGoogle Drive or Similar 5 months 2 weeks ago #1

• Covis
  • New
Hello... Sort of not a Help Question but Ver1.7.9 related.

I have webtrees running on web and I run the same Family tree on Local host (Xampp)

I am thinking about storing the required Directories and files on Google Drive or Dropbox (although Dropbox free storage maybe too small) or similar. This is so a Family member can "tinker" with the "Local Host Site" on his machine via a Google Drive "Shared Folder.

I understand that the Paths for "Index" directories and "Data" files need to be altered in Apache and MySQL to make it work.

I am sure it would work but I am concerned about Sync Data updates taking a while.

Is anyone here using this Dropbox type method ? And if so, does it go OK?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

webtrees on Xampp throughGoogle Drive or Similar 4 months 1 week ago #2

• GunnarO
  • New
you can sync the different devices, but the main data is in the database. as long as you use on all devices the same config Names, Ports, Config, Versions etc. this should work.

(maybe rsync and sftp are more sufficent at terminal)

But remember: this Sync works on file level! this means the synctool checks which data is newer the own or the remote and overwrite, if it syncs more than one it will overwrite all with the copy of recent changes. you could miss edits from other devices between.
GO-Designs ┬╗ Blog
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by GunnarO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.