This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Re-installing

Re-installing 1 week 2 days ago #1

• philld
  • New
My server crashed a few months back and I did a restore from a backup I had. Since then I have had a problem with thumbnails. Sometimes they are presented and other times, it is only a icon for the jpg file that appears. I know it is a permission file and have tried setting a number of directories (and below) to 777 but the problem still persists so am thinking that I will reinstall the software.

My questions are:
1) Is it possible to use the existing database as is OR should it be backed up and then restored after the reinstallation of webtrees?
2) If using the existing database, is there special considerations when executing the wizard for the setup?

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re-installing 1 week 1 day ago #2

• bertkoor
  • Gold
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
If it's just the thumbnails giving issues, rename the old media/thumbs folder and let webtrees do its job itself.
If the thumbs folder is not instantly created at first access to a thumbnail, then you can assist it.

Media are loosely couple from the database
stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.9

Re-installing 1 week 1 day ago #3

• philld
  • New
Thanks - all is looking good.

[SOLVED] Re-installing 1 week 1 day ago #4

• philld
  • New
Problem solved.