This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Google Maps

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• Aken
  • New
Hello,

I have a problem with the Google-Maps-modul.
In webtrees is all fine, I can see the location of birth and so on.
But there is no export to gedcom file.

Look, only
1 BIRT
2 DATE 21 JAN 1860
2 PLAC Aken
2 SOUR @S0026@
3 PAGE 1860/2/12

without
3 MAP
4 LATI
4 LONG

I think the mistake is my place file. It looks ....

"Stufe";"Land";"Längengrad";"Breitengrad";"Zoomfaktor";"Symbol";
[Level, Country, LATI, LONG....]
0;Altenklitsche;E12.19997;N52.48889;2;
0;Altenplathow;E12.14020;N52.41910;2;
0;Altenweddingen;E11.53023;N51.99734;2;

Without Country or Region.
All places are on highest level. That's wrong, but I don't know how can I change it.

Do you have any ideas how can I export LATI and LONG in gedcom file?

Greetings
Silvia

Note: As you can see my english is on low level. So it would be great if you answer in easy sentence. Thank you.
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
The 3 MAP / 4 LATI / 4 LONG is the location of the *event*. For example, the exact location of the church, the cemetery, the hospital, etc.

Googlemaps only stores the location of the *place*. Googlemaps locations are shared between all family trees.

The google maps module uses the location of the *event* (if it exists), and the location of the *place* (if not).

So, it is wrong to simply copy the co-ordinates of the place to the co-ordinates of the event. If someone was born in "England", then we should not copy the co-ordinates of "England" to this event, because the person was not born at these co-ordinates.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by fisharebest.

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• Aken
  • New
Hello,

thanks for explanation.
Now I understand the use of the Google-Maps-modul.
So it is impossible to use the Tags LATI and LONG in context gedcom file?

In the follow example the place "Arendsee" is linked to GOV with the special (german) gedcom-tag _GOV.
Another possibility would be to use the TAG MAP + LATI & LONG.

Arendsee

second example

Maybe it works in one of the next versions of Webtrees?
That would be nice.

Greetings
Silvia

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• norwegian_sardines
  • Gold
We have discussed the use of the GEDCOM MAP tag previously. The google map module is one of the original module to webtrees.

As I see it, using the GEDCOM MAP tag has some advantages and some disadvantages, as does the current “google maps mapping structure”.

For people who “round trip” with webtrees and programs that provide good GEDCOM MAP tag data, having to enter and create the google map database may be a hassle and a time consuming process. Although this process is partially or compleatly mitigated if you can take advantage of the already produced and document files that upload coordinates to the database.

Using the GEDCOM MAP tags have a distinct disadvantage in that you must enter a new set of coordinates for places that already exist for other facts, unless a database exists in webtrees that supports previously entered locations.

The GM database, provides a common and reusable lookup that automatically connects new facts with the same place to a map location. A lot less work for individuals that only use webtrees for their genealogy work.

Obviously the downside is that you must enter all of your new coordinates yourself, if you can’t find a starting file for your locale.

Personally I don’t “round trip” and only use webtrees, Furthermore, I have many place locations that are very specific in location that would never be found in any outside database like GOV. HOWEVER I would love to see a SMART PERSON, rewrite the GM module that would do a “bidirectional” update of both the MAP tag and the master coordinates data structure contained within webtrees. By this I mean create valid MAP tag values from the webtrees coordinate structure while maintaining the webtrees coordinates structure if an imported GEDCOM has MAP tags.

This new concept would require attention to data location clashes created by imported GEDCOMS that have MAP tags with coordinates that conflict with coordinates already found in the database structure.
Ken

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• Aken
  • New
Many thanks. I understand the problem.
However I like Webtrees. Several User can work with it at the same time and about a great distance.
You are right, usally a private user do not need the GEDCOM TAG.

Maybe I find another solution. I am looking for.

[SOLVED] Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• Aken
  • New
Problem solved.

Google Maps 1 month 2 weeks ago #7

• mp
  • Junior
Maybe I find another solution. I am looking for.

Have a look at this nice add-on: Gov4webtrees / Google Maps Module Location Data Provider / Shared Places and more.
Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de