This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate

Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate 3 months 21 hours ago #1

• trejder
  • Junior
Over 200 multimedia objects, completely not related to me (actually belonging to a vast number of people) are reported as duplicates of one of my personal photos:

What can cause this situation and how should I approach / solve this problem.

These photographs are in no relation to me, except for the fact that I have uploaded them.

I have uploaded photographs, images and other media file for each and every individual in my tree, because I am the only editor, but not all of multimedia files (550+ now) are reported as my duplicates. Only these 200+ or so.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate 3 months 21 hours ago #2

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
They are flagged as duplicate because they have the same title. (Probably an empty title).

Give them a unique name...
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate 3 months 20 hours ago #3

• trejder
  • Junior
1. What is a title? An actual "title" field? Must I name each multimedia file? Isn't filename enough?
2. In my 550+ multimedia files collection there are maybe 10 files that have "title" field filled-up and yet only 200+ files are reported as duplicates, not all 540+ "titleless".
3. Sub-question: Why multimedia files with not existing files are also reported as duplicates?

Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate 3 months 20 hours ago #4

• fisharebest
  • Administrator
> 1. What is a title? An actual "title" field?

Yes.

> Must I name each multimedia file?

Titles help with things like:

* google indexing/searching
* site visitors with assistive technology (e.g. screen readers). They will see (or hear!) your site with lots of images called "untitled image".

But you do not have to do this. Just ignore the list of duplicates ;-)

3) Why multimedia files with not existing files are also reported as duplicates?

The code does not attempt to load every record in your tree. For large trees, this would be impossible. Instead, it uses a database query to find media files with matching titles. If you have a missing media file, there is no database entry to find.
Greg Roach - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

[SOLVED] Dozens of multimedia objects reported as duplicate 3 months 20 hours ago #5

• trejder
  • Junior
Problem solved.