Solved Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #1 by erostew
Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1 was created by erostew
Hello folks.

The Tones theme has been updated to make it compatible with 1.3.2. Please make any new comments suggestions or requests in the new thread at webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/4-custom...e-for-webtrees-1-3-2

Regards,
Stew

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by erostew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #2 by erostew
Replied by erostew on topic Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1
I have just updated this theme to version 1.3.1.1

This is an entirely optional update but it does introduce some significant changes. There were some additional css tweaks made for all sub-themes. I have changed the Large Type sub-theme to Easy Read, since that better fits the sub-theme. Easy Read is virtually a theme itself now. It has a text-only menu that is more appropriate for the purpose of the theme.

It is compatible up to svn version 14258. I would appreciate it if you want to test it out on your development sites even if you do not wish to use it on your production sites. Feedback is an important tool so any and all is appreciated.

Regards,
Stew

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 6 months ago #3 by erostew
This theme has been updated once again and is now at version 1.3.1.2. Once again an optional but significant update.

I did a lot of tweaking to the css files of all sub-themes/palettes and fixed a few glitches. I think most of them have been fixed now.

I also fixed things so the reports are at least viewable in all sub-themes. There is very little that can be done from a theme but I did at least make it so that they don't just appear on top of the bg image anymore.

I tweaked all the webtrees logos to try and make them more compliant with the standard logos. I think I got it pretty close this time.

This is probably the last time I will update before the next webtrees release if no bugs are reported. I have included a couple of screen shots of the Easy Read and Liquorice palettes.

Attachments:

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #4 by vizar
Replied by vizar on topic Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1
Hi Stew,

First of all, i'm sorry for my bad english.
I like your theme and, because there is several beautiful palettes, i adopted it.
I would like to do some changes:
- I have several genealogy trees and i want that each of them a different palette with no possibility of change by users. For example: Gen1 --> palette ocean, Gen2 -->palette Parchment, Gen3 --> palette Minty, and so on...
- I would like to change the head picture by my logo.

Here my old site powered by phpGedView: vizar.war-an.net

Thanks for your answer

Alain

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #5 by erostew

vizar wrote: Hi Stew,

First of all, i'm sorry for my bad english.
I like your theme and, because there is several beautiful palettes, i adopted it.
I would like to do some changes:
- I have several genealogy trees and i want that each of them a different palette with no possibility of change by users. For example: Gen1 --> palette ocean, Gen2 -->palette Parchment, Gen3 --> palette Minty, and so on...
- I would like to change the head picture by my logo.

Here my old site powered by phpGedView: vizar.war-an.net

Thanks for your answer

Alain

Hello Alain.

Changing the logo is fairly easy to do. Just open the webtrees/themes/Tones/images folder and look for the following files:
black_wtlogo.png
Blu2ParchHead.png
bluParchHead.png
DarkParchHead.png
GreParchHead.png
ParchHead.png
RedParchHead.png

Those files are the logo images for the various themes. You have 2 options: You can replace each image with a new image so that each sub-theme has a different coloured logo, as in the default Tones theme OR you can replace those 7 images with 7 copies of your own logo. They must be named the same as those 7 images listed above. There are 2 image sizes: The black_wtlogo.png (for the Easy Read theme) image file is 240x64 pixels. The other 6 images are 220x64 pixels. You can make all 7 of your logos 220x64 with no problems but if you made them all 240x64 there would be issues with text overlapping the logo. Important: Any time you upload an updated Tones theme you have to make sure that you replace those 7 images with your own images BEFORE UPLOAD or your images on the server will be over-written.

Making each tree have a different default sub-theme is currently NOT possible AFAIK. Currently all of your trees share one copy of the themes folder. It is possible to have only 1 sub-theme usable for all of your trees but not 1 sub-theme for each tree. The default sub-theme is set in theme.php and that file is used by all trees.

AFAIK it is possible to set a default theme for your entire site, but not for each tree, and setting default sub-themes is not supported at all by webtrees.

I may be wrong on a couple of points because I have only 1 tree and may not see all of the options that you may see in your webtrees admin area. Hopefully another person will read this and correct any mistakes I may have made.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #6 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1
Hi,

To set a default theme per tree :
Administration -> Your tree #1 -> tab Access -> Default theme ->
and HIDE Theme dropdown selector for theme changes

Administration -> Your tree #2 -> tab Access -> Default theme ->
and HIDE Theme dropdown selector for theme changes

But erostew is correct. You can't set a sub-theme as default

EDIT : the only way to set a "sub-theme" is to customise each one and rename it and add it as a theme. So you would have to customise as many sub-theme as you need for your purpose. A lot of maintenance with each update of webtrees
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Jackie.

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #7 by vizar
Thanks for your reply,

I thought to make copies of Tones with modified theme.php in line 122 and line 125. One with parchment, one with ocean and renamed them. I've changed default theme for each family tree (One with parchment, one with ocean) in Administration --> Family Tree --> Access. But nothing to do, it does not work. As you say, it is possible to have only 1 sub-theme usable for all of your trees but not 1 sub-theme for each tree. So, what is the utility of the Default theme option in the family tree administration?

More
11 years 5 months ago #8 by Jackie

vizar wrote: Thanks for your reply,

So, what is the utility of the Default theme option in the family tree administration?

Please don't mix THEME and "sub-theme". Actually, what Stew named "sub-theme" are different colours of the SAME theme. You will have to cut-paste and customise each one you like and create them as a complete and separate theme.

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #9 by vizar
Bonjour Jackie,

C'est ce que j'ai voulu faire. Mais ça n'a pas l'air de fonctionner. J'ai peut-être oublié quelque chose. Il se fait tard, c'est l'heure de diner, je continuerai verrai ça demain, peut-être.

A+

Alain

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #10 by Jackie
Bonsoir,

Il vous faut renommer aussi dans le fichier theme.php, l'avez-vous fait ?

Edit : où avez-vous ajouté vos thèmes modifiés ? Quel dossier ? Il vous faut les traiter comme des thèmes à part entière et les ajouter dans le dossier votre_webtrees/themes/

et NON dans le dossier votre_webtrees/themes/tones/

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #11 by erostew
Salut Vizar.

You would need a complete copy of the Tones theme folder for each one of your tress. Example webtrees/themes/Tones1, webtrees/themes/Tones2 etc.

And in each theme.php you would have to change the name of the theme. Then set the default sub-theme/palette to what you want and disable switching as detailed in the readme. However you might have problems with conflicting variable names etc. for any user that uses more than 1 tree. Very possibly it would be easier to just strip out the theme changing components completely and have a static custom theme for each tree to avoid any conflict of variables and functions.

I can create an example theme with no switching of sub-theme/palette if it would be useful for you but you would have to make future maintenance yourself. Mostly you would just need to use a file compare utility after each release to make necessary changes in *.css, etc.

Regards Stew

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #12 by vizar
Hi Stew and Jackie,

I spent the whole day trying to solve my problem. Without success.
Here's how I did it.
- I created four occurrences of the theme "Tones" with different names.
- I changed lines 122 and 125 of the file "theme.php" to assign each occurrence of the palette used and the name of the theme.
- In the "Access" tab of the configuration of each tree, I checked "Hide" selector drop-down list to hide the theme and I selected a default theme among those I had created.

result:
When I access my site, genealogy default appears well with the theme that I have assigned. But when I change the theme genealogy does not change.
To change that, I must first select the desired genealogy, then connect me. At this point, I can see the genealogy with the theme assigned. If you change the genealogy, the subject does not change while we are connected. Must disconnect again, select the new view genealogy then reconnect.

En français:
J'ai passé toute la journée à essayer de résoudre mon problème. Sans succès.
Voici comment j'ai procédé.
- J'ai créée 4 occurences du thème "Tones" avec des noms différents.
- J'ai modifié les lignes 122 et 125 du fichier "theme.php" de chaque occurence pour attribuer la palette utilisée et le nom du thème.
- Dans l'onglet "Accès" de la configuration de chaque arbre, j'ai coché "Masquer" le sélecteur de liste déroulante pour masquer le thème et j'ai sélectionné un thème par défaut parmi ceux que je venais de créer.

Résultat:
Lorsque j'accède à mon site, la généalogie par défaut apparaît bien avec le thème que je lui ai attribué. Mais lorsque je change de généalogie le thème ne change pas.
Pour qu'il change, je dois d'abord choisir la généalogie voulue, puis me connecter. A ce moment, je peux voir la généalogie avec le thème qui lui est attribuée. Si on change de généalogie, le thème ne change plus tant qu'on est connecté. Il faut à nouveau se déconnecter, choisir la nouvelle généalogie à visionner puis se reconnecter.

Here's a link to the site (not yet in production) as well as the username and password for login.
vizar.war-an.net/webtree130
Username: Test - Password: testtest

Did I forget something?

Thanks.

Alain

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
11 years 5 months ago #13 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Tones theme for webtrees 1.3.1
Is your personal theme preference setting in your user admin specified as a particular theme or <default theme>?

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #14 by vizar
Hi Stephen,

Themes for users are specified <default theme>

More
11 years 5 months ago #15 by Jackie
Bonjour Vizar,

I don't know if it is only me but this page seems to have issues.

Je ne sais si c'est seulement moi mais cette page a quelques problèmes.

vizar.war-an.net/webtree130/index.php?ct...dcom&ged=FOUQUET.GED

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #16 by Jackie

vizar wrote: Hi Stew and Jackie,

I spent the whole day trying to solve my problem. Without success.

result:
When I access my site, genealogy default appears well with the theme that I have assigned. But when I change the theme genealogy does not change.
To change that, I must first select the desired genealogy, then connect me. At this point, I can see the genealogy with the theme assigned. If you change the genealogy, the subject does not change while we are connected. Must disconnect again, select the new view genealogy then reconnect.

Here's a link to the site (not yet in production) as well as the username and password for login.
vizar.war-an.net/webtree130
Username: Test - Password: testtest

Did I forget something?

Thanks.

Alain

Bonjour Alain,

Désolée, je ne peux vous aider sur la manière de "stripper" le code de ce thème. Stew en est le créateur par conséquent c'est lui qui peut vous aider.

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #17 by vizar
Hi Stew,

I upgraded webtrees from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2. Can you confirm that Tones theme is ready for this version?

Best regards

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 5 months ago #18 by erostew

vizar wrote: Hi Stew,

I upgraded webtrees from 1.3.1 to 1.3.2. Can you confirm that Tones theme is ready for this version?

Best regards

Salut vizar.
I have just updated the theme for compatibility with webtrees 1.3.2

For your customizing problem above:

It would take minimal effort to disable theme switching for an alternate theme version. I will try and make an alternate theme.php and header.php available in the next 1 or 2 days which will make doing what you want very simple.

Please make any new inquireies in the new thread for Tones 1.3.2 which is at webtrees.net/index.php/en/forum/4-custom...e-for-webtrees-1-3-2 and let this thread die.

• vizar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 4 months ago #19 by vizar
Hi Stew,

Thank you for the updated theme for webtrees 1.3.2
It run well for me. I continue in the new thead for Tones 1.3.2