Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.0). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question Help for Legacy Users Regarding Places

• Timelord
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 1 month ago #1 by Timelord
Help for Legacy Users Regarding Places was created by Timelord
Since I use Legacy on my PC, I was having trouble with imported places not showing up correctly in Google Maps on my webtrees site. With some help from people here, we found one fix.

Here is another one, but it ONLY works for those with the GeoDatabase installed. (I believe only Deluxe Users have it...)

When entering your place and address data, FIRST use the GeoDatabase for City, County, State and country. Then use the "Address Notes" option for a specific address (if you want it). If you do not completely understand what to do, contact me and I will try to explain in more detail. Also, I can post a copy of a corrected GedCom on my demo server. After making your corrections, re-export your gedcom (UTF-8 or ANSI mode) and reload the gedcom to your webtrees site. Places will then show up correctly in googlemaps and address are in a proper format without re-editing.

It may take a little work to get everyone in your Legacy database corrected, but it is worth the time.

On another note, I have a correction and apology to make: I was in error when I said that Legacy "allows" for direct same-sex couple entry. In ONLY allows you to change the ROLE (ie. Husband or wife) for each partner. The GENDERS still remain one male and one female. The webtrees fix that one of the members (moderators?) posted here works great! (I wish Legacy and OTHER such programs allowed this...) Legacy DID send me a work-around, but it is a bit complex for the average user and really not worth the effort (though I will share it if asked). It is easier to do whatever with Legacy, then upload the Gedcom to webtrees and make the change there.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.