Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.1.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question Google Places

• salvig67
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #1 by salvig67
Google Places was created by salvig67
I was wondering if there is a limit to the size of the upload of data. Such like the media file has a 8mb cap. Is so please let me know! As I will have to chop the places data for the USALL download in half. As it is more than that. I can not seem to get it to load. Not sure why so I am seeing if anyone has any input for this. As it would save me a ton of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: Google Places
webtrees does not impose a limit.

However, your server will have a limit on the size of upload files - presumably yours is set to 8MB.

Importing these files can be quite intensive, and large files may exceed your server's execution-time-limit.

If this is your own server, you can change these limits by editing your php.ini file, and restarting the webserver. Otherwise, you must live within the limits set by your web host.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• salvig67
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #3 by salvig67
Replied by salvig67 on topic Re: Google Places
I reduced the file size to only the new york places and tried to import and it did not import. I am at a cross road and need more input. Not sure why it is not uploading. everything else worked flawlessly. Is there anything I can read on the subject. As I have been looking around for the information and cannot find it.

Thanks Sal

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 10 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: Google Places
Sent you an email offline. I don't think you are 'doing it right'. Particularly for any state, you need not 'reduce the file size' of anything. Follow the step-by-step instructions I've provided and you should have NY state in you PLACE locations table. You can then do the same with any other state.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• salvig67
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #5 by salvig67
Sweet read and had to reduce the file size to one state at a time. It worked like a charm :) thanks very much

• salvig67
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #6 by salvig67
For sure For sure! it was the server limits on the upload to the database for the USA File for the Google place data. I am in the process of separating all the states now and will share the zip once I am done. Everything is working flawlessly the same as the program. I will add the file to this thread for anyone that uses Godaddy to host their site.

It threw a error code after I reduced the size of the file a bit and confirmed what I thought. in any event it is working great.

Thanks

• ToyGuy
More
12 years 10 months ago #7 by ToyGuy
The separate states download already exists. Don't waster your time.

More
12 years 10 months ago #8 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Re: Google Places

salvig67 wrote: I am in the process of separating all the states now and will share the zip once I am done. Everything is working flawlessly the same as the program. I will add the file to this thread for anyone that uses Godaddy to host their site.

As Stephen said, the individual state file salready exist ( webtrees.net/en/add-ons/viewdownload/4/55 )

Also, if you DO have a file to add (always appreciated), please put it in the Add-ons area rather than here. In no time at all it will disappear from here as new posts push it down and out of site. Just contact me if you have any problems with the add-ons area.

• Boomn4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #9 by Boomn4x4
Replied by Boomn4x4 on topic Re: Google Places
I'm having what I believe to be the same issue. I'm trying to import the CSV file, my browser spins for about 45 seconds or so, then goes back to a blank "Edit Geographic place locations" screen. No data is imported.

• ToyGuy
More
12 years 10 months ago #10 by ToyGuy
Michael
how are you trying to do so? There is no problem with the file (other than size and possible timeouts too).
From what point in the "Edit geographic place locations" are you trying?
Have you clicked on USA and are viewing the list of states? If not, the file will not import as you are trying to insert it at a different level than it wants to accept it.

You will need a large php timeout period to import this file. Depending on your processor speed, memory and bandwidth (local server, dedicated server, shared server, etc) you will need a php timeout probably in excess of five minutes for a file of this size.