Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.1.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question possible bug in gedfact/census assistant

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #1 by erostew
Not sure if this is a bug or if I should just adjust my place names.

When using the census assistant and there is a family member that has a PoB with an apostrophe, like St. Peter's, it breaks entering any data for the rest of that family if they are located after this individual in the list.

Example:
PoB of St. Peter's, Jersey, Channel Islands results in a broken link for adding to the transcript. It shows as
Code:
javascript:insertRowToTable("I142",%20"Harriet%C2%A0Renouf",%20"Harriet%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"Wife",%20"F",%20"M",%20"2399498",%20"2391462",%20"66",%20"2419372",%20"",%20"St.%20Peter
If I change her PoB to St. Peters, Jersey, Channel Islands the link is like so:
Code:
javascript:insertRowToTable("I142",%20"Harriet%C2%A0Renouf",%20"Harriet%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"Wife",%20"F",%20"M",%20"2399498",%20"2391462",%20"66",%20"2419372",%20"",%20"St.%20Peters,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"UNK,%20UNK,%20UNK,%20UNK",%20"UNK,%20UNK,%20UNK,%20UNK",%20"Francis%20George%20Le%20Gros,%202402180,%202423603::Ernest%20Edward%20Le%20Gros,%202402420,%200::Frederick%20Charles%20Le%20Gros,%202403515.5,%200::John%20Augustus%20Le%20Gros,%202403881,%200::Ada%20Harriet%20Le%20Gros,%202404246,%200");
So obviously it is breaking right after the apostrophe.

For those indis in the family after her the first (apostrophe present) link is:
Code:
javascript:insertRowToTable("I147",%20"John%20Augustus%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"John%20Augustus%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"Son",%20"M",%20"",%20"",%20"2403881",%20"32",%20"0",%20"",%20"St.%20Helier,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"St.%20Lawrence,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"St.%20Peter
Without the apostrophe it is:
Code:
javascript:insertRowToTable("I147",%20"John%20Augustus%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"John%20Augustus%C2%A0Le%20Gros",%20"Son",%20"M",%20"",%20"",%20"2403881",%20"32",%20"0",%20"",%20"St.%20Helier,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"St.%20Lawrence,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"St.%20Peters,%20Jersey,%20Channel%20Islands",%20"");
Once again breaking after the apostrophe. So clicking to add them to the list with an apostrophe in the mix doesn't work because the javascript link is incomplete.

Other families are not affected even if they appear after this one in the list. Her husband, who appears before her in the family is also not affected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 10 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Stew
It may be necessary to add an escape for the single apostrophe, and Brian can probably look at this.

However, you should probably too change your place designation. The proper location is

"Saint Peter, Jersey, Channel Islands" and not the possessive "Peter's". Saint Peter is one of the twelve parishes of Jersey. The possessive form of the word could (but need not) apply if you were speaking of the church itself.

Saint Peter's Episcopal Church, Farmington, Hampshire Co, Connecticut, USA //as a wedding location or funeral service, but Saint Peters Episcopal Church, Farmington, Hampshire Co, Connecticut, USA has the possessive as understood as it is known that Saint Peter himself was alone in his tasks.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
12 years 10 months ago #3 by kiwi
Stephen

You are technically correct, but in fact it is not that common to refer to the parishes of Jersey in any place description. It is more likely that stew is actually referring to the church. In this case, common usage would be "St Peter's" as an abbreviated form of "St Peter's Church".

It should be easy to fix this, BUT, its worth noting that the bug has existed (in PGV) for the last three years at least, not that that is any reason for not fixing it.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 10 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
@Nigel - Thanks. It is precisely for that reason I mentioned the instance of a church. Given that, if it truly was the church to which Stew referred, why leave us guessing (and researchers using his family tree data a hundred or two hundred or five hundred years from now)? Wouldn't it be better to specify,
Saint Peters Church, Saint Peter, Jersey, Channel Islands if that was truly the location? With twelve parishes, Jersey is a pretty big place. For all we know, there could be a second or third Saint Peters Church.

Just talking out loud about the need to be specific. It is much like my counsel to people who refuse to use a county designation and leave New York or Yankton alone. For intance, on the latter, it will always be a guess by a future researcher as to whether the person is at:
Yankton, Yankton Twp, Yankton county, South Dakota, USA or
Yankton Twp, Yankton Co, South Dakota, USA or
Yankton Co, South Dakota, USA if the place is recorded as Yankton, South Dakota as the county is quite large.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #5 by erostew
Replied by erostew on topic Re: possible bug in gedfact/census assistant
Hi guys.

Stephen: You are correct I believe. Not sure exactly why I put St. Peter's instead of St. Peter.

Nigel: actually it is fairly common to refer to the parishes of Jersey. Some records refer to places like Vingtaine de la Vallee and St. Lawrence and St Helier, etc are both Parish and Village. Vingtaine is more or less a district. But many records, including Census refer only to the parish for PoB, etc. So I sometimes have St. Lawrence, St. Lawrence, Jersey, Channel Islands but more often just St. Lawrence, Jersey, Channel Islands. It's also complicated that Jersey is often referred to like a county, but it isn't a county. Similarly Channel Islands is mainly referred to like a country but in fact it doesn't actually exist. A somewhat strange state of affairs :)

Anyway--I fixed the placename to St. Peter and the problem is gone but I guess it should be fixed. A lot of people do actually include a church/parish/cemetery of some sort in place names and France has a few place names with apostrophes if I recall correctly. Guess I'll put in a bug report.

More
12 years 10 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: possible bug in gedfact/census assistant
Going slightly off-topic....

What do people do when you have two places with the same name, in the same county/state/county.

There are hundreds of these in the UK. For example, the attached Google Earth file contains two places, both called "Yaxall, Somerset, England"

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #7 by kiwi
Greg, are you sure? (no file attached - probably too big). When I put "Yaxall, Somerset, England" into Google Earth it says "We could not understand the location of "Yaxall, Somerset, England"

I can understand places with the same name in England, but haven't experienced any within a single county, but usually I would expect one to "correctly" be spelled slightly different or have more to the name that is perhaps not commonly used (but necessary to differentiate in a database like ours).
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by kiwi.

More
12 years 10 months ago #8 by fisharebest
Um, sorry - my typo. Should have been Wraxall. (plus .KML attachments not allowed).

Here are the gridrefs and lat/lon

Wraxall ST6036 51.12589 -2.56451 Somerset
Wraxall ST4971 51.43975 -2.72665 Somerset

I'm compiling a gazetteer of places, and have found several hundred like this.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #9 by kiwi
I think that technically there should NOT be such duplicates. It tends to be the result of (historical) laziness. If you google "Wraxall" there is a lot of mentions about "Lower, Upper, North, Highest", etc, Wraxall.

Not sure where your kml file came from, but when I put "wraxall, somerset, england" into GE, it only finds one, which is the Wraxall at 51.12589 -2.56451.

Then if you use Google maps (rather than Earth), it finds "Wraxall, Shepton Mallet, Somerset".
[EDIT: GM finds the other as "Wraxall, Bristol, North Somerset"]

Of course, all this might not help your task, as it would require individual research on each duplicate, perhasp including checking historical maps, because of the frequent place name changes over time.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by kiwi.

More
12 years 10 months ago #10 by fisharebest
Try this attachment.

Then if you use Google maps (rather than Earth), it finds "Wraxall, Shepton Mallet, Somerset".
[EDIT: GM finds the other as "Wraxall, Bristol, North Somerset"]

That's kind of my point.

Both these are Wraxall, Somerset, England (using the standard place/county/country hierachy), and is the way we'd record them in googlemaps, etc.

But, to identify them, you'd need

Wraxall (nr Shepton Mallet), Somerset, England
Wraxall (nr Bristol), Somerset, England

Attachments:

More
12 years 10 months ago #11 by kiwi
Yes. The more I see of the issue the more I agree. I think if I ever came across such a problem (perhaps I have and didn't know it?), I would do exactly that:

Wraxall (nr Shepton Mallet), Somerset, England
Wraxall (nr Bristol), Somerset, England

I've slightly lost track of county / region name changes in the UK (seems to happen every few years now), but on GE they actually put the Bristol one in a district (?) called North Somerset, which they show as separate from "Somerset". That seems odd to me.

More
12 years 10 months ago #12 by fisharebest
<<I've slightly lost track of county / region name changes in the UK>>

The Association of British Counties ( www.abcounties.co.uk/ ) have strong views on "traditional/historic" versus "modern/administrative" counties.

They also publish a useful gazetteer of places, together with a KML file containing the traditional county boundaries.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #13 by Jackie
Hi,

I think I remember a bug report about the apostrophe in version 1.1.2 and that was fixed in later svn, isn't it ?

I remember I upgraded my Google Maps module because of that. But I can't remember what svn number. Actually, my site is using svn 11338 and I don't have the apostrophe issue, and there's a lot of apostrophes in French !

Also, about parishes, the way I record them is a little different, in the PLAC field I enter the city, county, province (state), country. In the ADDR field, I enter the name of the parish (church) and the address such as street, etc.

Am I wrong ?

EDIT : Oops ! Did not catch at first look, you were talking about Census assistant, sorry.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
12 years 10 months ago #14 by kiwi

I enter the name of the parish (church) and the address such as street, etc.

Am I wrong ?

There's no such thing as "wrong" in this case. Its personal choice, what suits your geography, culture, etc. I do the same as you (mostly).

I think I remember a bug report about the apostrophe in version 1.1.2 and that was fixed in later svn, isn't it ?

Yes ( bugs.launchpad.net/webtrees/+bug/759823 ) That is similar, but not the same. That was in Google Maps, this is in Census Assistant (which is only useful for UK and USA census).

More
12 years 10 months ago #15 by Jackie
Thanks Nigel, I realise my mistake just after sending my post. :-(