Web based family history software

Question Close Relatives Events display - Divorce?

• ToyGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 8 months ago #1 by ToyGuy
I had just added a distant cousin who, himself, had 6 marriages and 6 divorces. One of his sons has already had 3 marriages and divorces.
I noticed on the dad's page that the MARR events for his son all showed, but none of the divorces did, so I returned to the configuration page to discover that we don't currently include DIV as an event to display.

Should we?
Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #2 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Re:Close Relatives Events display - Divorce?
Divorce was once an embarrassment. That’s still true for some, but for most, it’s just something that happens, and I guess for a few, it’s actually something they like to talk about. So I’d agree it should be an option for the admin.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by WGroleau.

More
13 years 8 months ago #3 by kiwi
I think the intention was to keep the "Events of Close Relatives" options manageable. So the list is just three columns - Birth, Marriage, Death. Its a matter of where to stop in my view, and the simple BMD is an easy answer. If you add divorce - for which relatives - parents, grandparents, siblings, great grandparents, cousins, ....?? We've only just done a major pruning exercise on these as it is.

Then after DIV, to we add adoption, banns, bar-mitzvahs, etc etc etc?

Of course, if someone was inclined to re-code this whole feature we could abandon the list concept totally, and just allow admins to add anything they wanted. I'm sure its possible, but necessary??

• ToyGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 8 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Nigel
I fully understood the apparent 'intention', but it looks pretty strange and, IMHO, is more of an oversight, to see a series of marriages reported without the related/corresponding divorce events. I'm not sure how relevant your other events listed are when considering the intimate nature of the relationship of these two events.
Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 8 months ago #5 by kiwi
I'm probably not a good judge as I make little use of the "Events of close relatives", have few items ticked on config, and always have it hidden by default. Also, 90% of my tree's marriage etc were 19th century, and divorce was virtually impossible (except for royalty and a few very wealthy people) in the UK before the 1920's. So I have few divorces in my data.

From a coding perspective, if we add any new items I think it should be done with a re-think of the way these are configured. It should technically be possible to allow any fact to be added, therefore removing all debate about what should be in or out.

More
13 years 8 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re:Close Relatives Events display - Divorce?
Each of these "close relatives events" needs quite a bit of translation effort (you would need 33 translations for "divorce of a XXX"), plus the config options themselves.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
13 years 8 months ago - 13 years 8 months ago #7 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Re:Close Relatives Events display - Divorce?
Can’t you just repeat a hundred and some times
Code:
//i18n: %1$s = Event (birth, marriage, death, etc.); %2%s = Relation (spouse, child, etc.) i18n::translate(%1$s of a %2$s, $event, $relation);
or maybe like UniGen.us/webtrees/config_sample_one.html

By the way, while making that sample, I noticed that the current snapshot ends each row with
</td></td> instead of
</td></tr>

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by WGroleau.

More
13 years 8 months ago #8 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re:Close Relatives Events display - Divorce?
That's fine for the config screen, but not for the translations.

We need separate translations for male/female/unknown.

The "of a" part may also need to change, according to the specific relationship. Sorry - these techniques don't work for all languages.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net