Web based family history software

Question Main picture of INDI get lost when editing INDI

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #1 by rick
Hi,

the 'Always use main picture' option somehow get lost when I edit an INDI value. Before editing, the picture is shown but when I press the save button, the picture becomes the default non image.

Ok a little more info.

When I select a picture to be the main image of the INDI, and I accept the changes, it still shows a blue box around the media file. To get that solved, I also need to go to the media file itself to accept the changes also over there. When I return to the INDI, all is accepted and back to normal again. Is this the way it should happen in webtrees?

Greg,

could it be that the 'Always use main picture' setting from PGV is not correctly imported? When I watch an INDI, the main selected picture is there on the INDI page but if you look at the media tab, that selected picture is not set as the main picture.

Rick.
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by rick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Rick
I think you have misinterpreted the "ALWAYS USE MAIN IMAGE?" (referring to it as 'always use main picture'). If you read the HELP, this most specifically refers to using the large image as the thumbnail (a resizing for display) rather than a created thumbnail. This is noted as:

Always use main image?

This option lets you override the usual selection for a thumbnail image.

The GEDCOM has a configuration option that specifies whether webtrees should send the large or the small image to the browser whenever the current page requires a thumbnail. The «Always use main image?» option, when set to Yes, temporarily overrides the setting of the GEDCOM configuration option, so that webtrees will always send the large image. You cannot force webtrees to send the small image when the GEDCOM configuration specifies that large images should always be used.

webtrees does not re-size the image being sent; the browser does this according to the page specifications it has also received. This can have undesirable consequences when the image being sent is not truly a thumbnail where webtrees is expecting to send a small image. This is not an error: There are occasions where it may be desirable to display a large image in places where one would normally expect to see a thumbnail-sized picture.

You should avoid setting the «Always use main image?» option to Yes. This choice will cause excessive amounts of image-related data to be sent to the browser, only to have the browser discard the excess. Page loads, particularly of charts with many images, can be seriously slowed.

What you are discussing is the _PRIM tag setting to Y (yes). You can have several images set to yes, but if you do so, webtrees will select the image first in order to display as the featured image - not necessarily the one you had intended. It would then be necessary to reorder the media.

Hope this helps. BTW, why don't you have yourself set to auto-accept changes?
Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• rick
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #3 by rick
Thanks Stephen for your reply. Maybe that is also the place where it might go wrong. PGV is using on all that kind of settings Y or N but found out that webtrees is using 1 or 0. That could explain the phenomena that I see.

Sending the big images is not the option that I would use so will put it back to the thumbnails.

I thought I had selected that auto accept but will check it. Thanks for the hint.

Rick