Web based family history software

Question How to mark individuals on group photo ?

• jhf2442
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #1 by jhf2442
Hi,

let's say I have a group photo, like one taken on a family gathering event. There are 20 people on the picture.
Of course I can assign the media document to all 20 of them - this I know how to do in webtrees
but I'd also like to more precisely mark the individuals on the picture, like "Individual I1234 is the second person on the 1st row"

How to do this ? Is there a better way than adding notes to the media ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
8 years 11 months ago #2 by thomas52
Replied by thomas52 on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Add a note to the media object itself - for example, see www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I7261 - Media tab
Alternatively, list them in the Media name - see www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I7264 - Media tab

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• jhf2442
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #3 by jhf2442
Replied by jhf2442 on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
I think this "add a note to the media" thing works fine when having a picture with few individuals on it. But I think it becomes rather unhandy when describing a picture with 50+ individuals like on a family gathering, a wedding ...

Actually I was rather thinking about something equivalent to an HTML Image map
So as to say an overlay over the picture itself with text or links to individuals or ...

Text-only overlay could of course be done using an image editor (gimp, photoshop or the like) locally and then uploading the file. But links to individuals can't be inserted within a picture

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
8 years 11 months ago #4 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Alas webtrees won't let you do that. It's designed for photos or document scans related to one person or maybe a family consisting of parents and children. It's not just webtrees but the underlying GEDCOM storage structure that makes this feature difficult to implement. It's been asked for before...

You can ofcourse make an image map outside the scope of webtrees (or inside with the simpl_page module) and create links to the person pages inside webtrees. What I sometimes do is take selections of the group portrait of individual faces but also put the group photo on the page of a family.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
8 years 11 months ago #5 by thomas52
Replied by thomas52 on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
In some cases, images of documents can be difficult to read, and can be expanded on with either notes or a link to another page.
I have a transcript from a family bible that I wanted to use with more than just the transcript, so I linked a page to the individuals, i.e.
Great-grandfather @ www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I011 has a note with his birth data sourcing the family bible @ adkins.ws/media/AdkinsFamilyBible.htm
In another case ggg-g @ www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I015 has his birth sourced to www.adkins.ws/media/WardFamilyBible.htm
There is also a family group photo linked to www.adkins.ws/family.php?famid=F010 with a note for the individuals, however in earlier versions of webtrees, the note actually appeared on the screen at the bottom of the photo when you clicked on it. I'm still on 1.6.1 right now, so I don't know how 1.6.2 responds, but perhaps a request to restore the note to the bottom of the photo image can be submitted once we get our upcoming major revision completed.
As Bert Koor mentioned, simpl_page is an option, and I am trying that as well - see the 'Resources' and 'Menu' tabs on the main menu for examples.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 11 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
You can create a second copy of the photo, and use photoshop (or your favourite graphics tool) to write text labels over each individual.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• NikitaRus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #7 by NikitaRus
Replied by NikitaRus on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Code:

bertkoor wrote: Alas webtrees won't let you do that. It's designed for photos or document scans related to one person or maybe a family consisting of parents and children. It's not just webtrees but the underlying GEDCOM storage structure that makes this feature difficult to implement. It's been asked for before...

You can ofcourse make an image map outside the scope of webtrees (or inside with the simpl_page module) and create links to the person pages inside webtrees. What I sometimes do is take selections of the group portrait of individual faces but also put the group photo on the page of a family.[url=http://http://www.java2s.com/Open-Source/Javascript_Free_CodeDownload/p/photolabel-master.zip]jQuery.photoLabel[/url]

Do you think that may interfere to implement the following code: familyingeneer.com\demojQuery.photoLabe. Do you think this is not possible in principle ? Initial data on jQuery.photoLabel (http://http://www.java2s.com/Open-Source/Javascript_Free_CodeDownload/p/photolabel-master.zip]jQuery.photoLabel)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by NikitaRus.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8 by Tel

bertkoor wrote: Alas webtrees won't let you do that. It's designed for photos or document scans related to one person or maybe a family consisting of parents and children. It's not just webtrees but the underlying GEDCOM storage structure that makes this feature difficult to implement. It's been asked for before...

Desktop software allows you to assign parts of a larger photo. to individuals. I use Family Historian which allows you to do just this using NOTE and _AREA tags, as in the follow example:
Code:
0 @O143@ OBJE 1 FORM jpeg 1 TITL Forder-Emma_&_Joan_(Daughter) 1 _FILE D:\Genealogy\Photos_&_Media\Forder-Emma_&_Joan_(Daughter).jpg 1 _DATE 1965 1 _KEYS Picture 1 NOTE Joan Dunning (nee Ashley) 2 _ASID 1 2 _AREA {115,605,594,1009} 1 NOTE 2 _ASID 2 2 _AREA {133,628,560,940} 1 NOTE 2 _ASID 3 2 _AREA {148,387,494,662} 1 CHAN 2 DATE 16 FEB 2016 3 TIME 17:04:29

The _AREA tag includes image coordinates to reference that part of an image corresponding to an individual. However, I don't believe the output is GEDCOM compliant as indicated by the underscore (signifying a non-core tag). Perhaps the original request is one for the 'Wish List'.

Terry
running webtrees 2.1.16 at mynorfolkancestors.net
on PHP 8.2, MySQL 5.7.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Tel.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
8 years 1 month ago #9 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
All of the "tags" with the preceding underline are invalid GEDCOM tags.

Even if they were valid they do not create the map overlay by themselves, software must be created to do the overlay work. This software is not included in webtrees.

What I do is create a PDF of the photo with a second page that contains another image with names of the people over their face. Similar to what Greg does.

Ken

• NikitaRus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago #10 by NikitaRus
Replied by NikitaRus on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?

Tel wrote:

Desktop software allows you to assign parts of a larger photo. to individuals. I use Family Historian which allows you to do just this using NOTE and _AREA tags, as in the follow example:
Code:
0 @O143@ OBJE 1 FORM jpeg 1 TITL Forder-Emma_&_Joan_(Daughter) 1 _FILE D:\Genealogy\Photos_&_Media\Forder-Emma_&_Joan_(Daughter).jpg 1 _DATE 1965 1 _KEYS Picture 1 NOTE Joan Dunning (nee Ashley) 2 _ASID 1 2 _AREA {115,605,594,1009} 1 NOTE 2 _ASID 2 2 _AREA {133,628,560,940} 1 NOTE 2 _ASID 3 2 _AREA {148,387,494,662} 1 CHAN 2 DATE 16 FEB 2016 3 TIME 17:04:29

The _AREA tag includes image coordinates to reference that part of an image corresponding to an individual. However, I don't believe the output is GEDCOM compliant as indicated by the underscore (signifying a non-core tag). Perhaps the original request is one for the 'Wish List'.

I understand that this task is beyond the GEDCOM standard. My question is whether it is possible to implement this feature is in webtrees? Even losing the ability to export to other programs . My main task is to leave the comfortable viewing tool for children.

More
8 years 1 month ago #11 by lambosprit
Replied by lambosprit on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Hi there.

I've had the same wish for a while and am in the process of creating a face tagging module for webtrees which may be useful to you.

First a couple of disclaimers
I haven't finished it yet but when I do I will release it (hopefully soon work permitting).
It will only work on a windows based server as the face tagging software is built for that. I am not a linux guy so cannot create a linux version but the software I am using can be built on linux if someone has the skills.
I am trying to integrate it as much as possible with standards. So I'm using as much webtrees functionality as possible and sticking to gedcom where I can but as has been pointed out there is no standard for storing this info. My opinion is that if there is no standard I can create my own way of doing it so at the moment I am just creating a table with the data in which will store the links between tags and individuals. GEDCOM export is not a priority as no other software will be able to make any sense of it.
My module will allow for adding of pictures, tagging of pictures and viewing of pictures with tags.

So just to say where I'm at,
I have a working prototype which allows we to upload a photo into webtrees , search it for faces and display the tags. The tags can be linked to an individual using the find form from webtrees. I also have a prototype that can read the tag data and display it against the photo when you move over a picture so the picture isn't cluttered or you can lock a face to show the tag whether you are over it or not.

I am currently working on storing the tag data in the database and retrieving it so I'm not far off so keep watching this space.

• jhf2442
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #12 by jhf2442
Replied by jhf2442 on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Hi lambosprit

do you already have the code available somewhere ?
what's the name of the face tagging software you're using ?

Could think about providing the linux part

Many thanks

More
7 years 10 months ago #13 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Let me use your answer to place a new request concerning the use of an image with a map in the ‘Home page’ HTML blocks of webtrees.

bertkoor wrote: Alas webtrees won't let you do that. .

But you proposed in the next sentence:

bertkoor wrote: You can ofcourse make an image map outside the scope of webtrees (or inside with the simpl_page module) and create links to the person pages inside webtrees. What I sometimes do is take selections of the group portrait of individual faces but also put the group photo on the page of a family.

that's what I tried.

But the code with the map-tag was erased from the code of the HTML-block
Where is the button to allow the HTML-tag <map>?

Both MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT families are using webtrees V2.1.18

• Gustine
  • Away
More
7 years 10 months ago #14 by Gustine
Replied by Gustine on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
The only solution I found is to use phpMyAdmin ...
Pity

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.
Offline editing : webtrees 1.7.

More
7 years 10 months ago #15 by Andreas
That's interesting, too.

But I noticed that the image map code, when entered in source code format will besaved correctly.

But you mustn't retry to edit it a second time. :-))

In former versions of CKEditor it was possible to define allowed and not allowd tag easily.
This is quite more difficult now.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #16 by fisharebest

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
7 years 10 months ago #17 by Andreas
Thank you. This seems really to be the good solution, but unfortunately, I don't understand the way to make it work.

Please tell me what's wrong in my thoughts.

I edited the file modules_v3/ckeditor/config.js . Initially it contains one line of code:

Code:
CKEDITOR.editorConfig=function(){};

To this line I added the code mentioned at github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/924

Code:
config.extraAllowedContent = 'area[!shape,!coords,!href,!target,alt];' + 'map[!name];';

After saving the modified file to the server I tried the editor on my webtrees installation and ... nothing changed.
The map-tag, as well as the usemap property of the img-tag disappeared when re-opening the editor with the formerly changed source code.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 10 months ago #18 by fisharebest

• Gustine
  • Away
More
7 years 10 months ago #19 by Gustine
Replied by Gustine on topic How to mark individuals on group photo ?
Easiest way is perhaps to disable CK module and directly edit html code...

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.
Offline editing : webtrees 1.7.

More
7 years 10 months ago #20 by Andreas
Thank you for the answer. I'm late to reply.

But only today I tried to fix my small problem.

And it works. :-))

Thank you.....