Web based family history software

Question Connecting diferent Family Trees!!!

• OverLabyss
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #1 by OverLabyss
Connecting diferent Family Trees!!! was created by OverLabyss
Hello,

my wife and me have both a separate family tree in webtrees (we got such *.ged files from relatives).
Is it possible to connect / link both trees with each other without merging them into a single family tree? At the moment my wife is added as "wife" in my family tree, while I'm added as "husband" in her family tree. But both trees are separat.

The reason is, that the family tree of my wife's family is maintained by her father and it could happen, that we get an updated one somewhere in future.

Is there any way that I can say "Person X" in family tree A is equal to "Person Y" in family tree B?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Over

[size=8pt]ลิ้งดูบอล[/size]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Connecting diferent Family Trees!!!
> Is there any way that I can say "Person X" in family tree A is equal to "Person Y" in family tree B?

Not directly.

webtrees uses separate trees to isolate data.
Each tree has its own access permissions, privacy settings, etc.

You could create a source or a note with the URL of the record in the "other" tree.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 8 months ago #3 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Connecting diferent Family Trees!!!
Your question is one of the main arguments for having all of your genealogical data in a single tree. It is also one of the reasons webtrees is a valuable program for collaborative study and updating.

We all realize that it will take some convincing and habit change for your father-in-law to start entering data into webtrees but the advantage is that more of his side of the family can/could view updates as he makes them and even contribute if they desire.

For paper reports he can still extract data from webtrees via GEDCOM and probably import the data into his favorite program and then generate reports and documents that he is familiar with creating. Making webtrees the family genealogical database has a lot of advantages over a local (single user) program.

Ken