Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.2.x). For issues related to beta or svn version please use their own Help forum.
When requesting help please provide as much information as possible. Explain what version of webtrees, PHP and MYSQL you are using. If possible provide a URL to your site so we can see the problem first-hand.
Tip: Think about putting these details in your signature, so it appears in the footer of ALL your messages

Question ALIA tag

• pab
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 10 months ago #1 by pab
ALIA tag was created by pab
I have two INDIs who may be the same person. There is an ALIA tag in GEDCOM which could handle this. I believe it can be used two ways - an alias aka other name; or the suggestion the individual is the same as another in the tree. My INDIs date from just after the English Civil War but from opposing counties. Until I can prove a link how can I associate the two records as a possibility? Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Re: ALIA tag
<<I believe it can be used two ways>>

I believe it can only be used in one way ;-)

I have used it myself.

However, the GUI isn't aware of this tag, so, when you initially enter it, you need to specify @I213@ instead of just I123. However, when re-editing an existing tag, you only need to enter I123

Also, you'll probably want to enter the ALIA tag for both individuals.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #3 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Re: ALIA tag
I've had the cause to use the ALIA tag only two times. Both times were I found a person that had a slightly different name than my target person but I thought they were reasonably the same people. But I want to keep the data separate until I had done a complete check on them. Eventurally (a few days later) I merged them together into the same record using the NAME_TYPE value (TYPE tag) of an additional NAME tag to indicate the person was "aka" this other person.

I set up an example in the Demo System for Big Boy /Captain/ to illustrate the connection.

IMHO if you get one of these situations you will probably in short order either merge the findings into one identity or split them into two without the ALIA tag.

The GEDCOM defines the tag as:
ALIA {ALIAS}:=
An indicator to link different record descriptions of a person who may be the same person.
+1 ALIA @<XREF:INDI>@

The tag would look something like this:
0 @I1@ INDI
1 ALIA @I23@

and

0 @I23@ INDI
1 ALIA @I1@

NEVER USE THE ALIA TAG AS:
+1 ALIA John /Doe/

Some software does this and is wrong!!

Ken
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by norwegian_sardines.