Question webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10

• fisharebest
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #1 by fisharebest
webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10 was created by fisharebest
It has been a long time, but webtrees 2.0 is getting closer!

I have finished the internal restructuring. Some of the old code was 15 years old. Not only was it difficult to maintain, the complexity was also preventing a lot of further development. So, I have taken it all apart, and put it back together in a more modern, consistent and maintainable structure.

What's new?

This probably won't mean much unless you are a web developer. But they are all "good things"...

1) We now have a "front controller". All requests get channelled through a single script (index.php). This gives us flexibility to do things such as "friendly URLs", better error handling, embedding webtrees in other applications, etc..

2) We now have a "routing table". This decides which requests are processed by which scripts. It will do things such as allow modules to modify core behaviour. It also means that our authorization checks (e.g. admin-only pages) are all in one place.

3) We now have a "middleware stack". This allows us to create "wrappers" for all requests which do things such as add security checks, use database transactions, etc.

4) We now have a "template" system. HTML is generated using easy-to-modify template files, rather then by PHP scripts. It makes it easier to maintain and update the presentation, because it is now separated from the application logic.

5) We now have "dependency injection". This allows code to be more modular, and makes it possible to write test scripts for each component.

6) The HTML/CSS is now based on the bootstrap framework, which makes it possible for us to support a range of different devices, such as phone, tablet and desktop.

I've tried hard to leave the application functions and processes unchanged. Things should work pretty much the same as in webtrees 1.7. The objective was simply to untangle and modernise the code. The new structure is very close to that used by the "laravel" framework. A future update will see webtrees migrated to Laravel. Laravel makes it easy to add custom modules and themes, and would allow us to easily add things such as social-media logins, etc.

There is one functionality change. webtrees now supports media objects with more than one media file. For example, you can add a photo to an audio recording or store scans of both sides of a document in a single media object. If you had any custom thumbnail images, these won't work. You'll now need to add your custom thumnail as a second media file in the media object. There's a new tool in the control panel to help you find and update these.

The result is webtrees-2.0.0-alpha.1, which you can download from github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases...es-2.0.0-alpha.1.zip Note that it requires PHP 7.0 or later. If your server still uses PHP 5.6, then you'll need to stay with webtrees 1.7.x.

The "alpha" designation means that there are probably still bugs (so don't use it on your live site) and that the internal structure is likely to change (so don't update your custom modules/themes just yet).

But you are encouraged to try it out, and report any issues on the github tracker.

What next?

1) The HTML/CSS structure needs to be reviewed and updated. At the moment, we're using a lot of defaults.

2) The interface for custom themes/modules needs to be reviewed and updated.

I plan to create updated alpha releases every few weeks.

What else?

I have also created a 1.7.10 release. github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases.../webtrees-1.7.10.zip
This adds compatibility for MySQL 8.0, and PHP 7.1 and 7.2. Note that some of the third-party libraries will not work with PHP 7.1 (e.g. the .ZIP library). It also updates some of the language files. There were also a few minor security fixes.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by fisharebest. Reason: update URL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #2 by UksusoFF
Replied by UksusoFF on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Thanks for the great work!

More
5 years 7 months ago #3 by eyolf
Replied by eyolf on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Wonderful! Looking forward to it.

webtrees 2.1.16
[url] oestrem.com/webtrees [/url]

More
5 years 7 months ago #4 by jcnventura
Replied by jcnventura on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Thanks for the excellent work you've been doing. Is it just me, that the webtrees install is not picking up the 1.7.10 release, and suggesting an upgrade?

João Ventura - venturas.org/familytree

More
5 years 7 months ago #5 by jcnventura
I think it's not just me.. The URL where fetchLatestVersion gets the latest version information:

dev.webtrees.net/build/latest-version.txt?w=1.7.9&p=7.0&o=u

Is still reporting 1.7.9 as the latest.

• fisharebest
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
I planned to wait a few days before doing this.

The old build script no longer runs - it relied on some old/outdated tools - so I had to rewrite it.
Also, webtrees runs on PHP 5.3, but it is very difficult to install PHP 5.3 for testing, so I only tested it with PHP 7.0

There shouldn't be any compatibility problems - but there is always a risk.

So, I wanted to wait until a few people have upgraded manually - and not reported any issues - before I update the version on dev.webtrees.net.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
5 years 7 months ago #7 by MABeatty1978
Replied by MABeatty1978 on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
This is all great! I was actually a bit concerned that the WebTrees project was dead. After frequent updates, nothing since December 2016.

Great work Greg. Thanks!

Michael Beatty
kiancestry.com

More
5 years 7 months ago #8 by eyolf
When I try to import my gedfile, the process stops at 70-80%. This happens with one particular file; other ged-files work fine. The file that doesn't work has been exported directly from v. 1.7.9.
Also, in the list in the control panel, the number of Individuals, Families, Sources, Media and Notes are correct, the only thing that's missing is the Repositories. The log file doesn't seem to give any clues.
Any clues?

webtrees 2.1.16

• fisharebest
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #9 by fisharebest
@eyolf

1) Enable developer tools in your browser. e.g. crtl-shift-I or cmd-shift-I in chrome or firefox. Swith to the "network tab". Now run the import again. Every second or so, you will see a network request being made. Look at the last one. Does it contain an error message?

2) Look in the wt_gedcom_chunk table in the database. Find the first entry for this tree that has the value "imported = 0". Look at the GEDCOM data in this row. This is the block of data that webtrees is trying to import. Examine it for any issues.

If you want to send me the GEDCOM file, I can try to import it on my development machine.

• fisharebest
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #10 by fisharebest
Thanks for the file. It is always easier to fix problems when you can reproduce them locally.

github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/1824

Invalid census-assistant markup was causing a fatal error. Fixed.

More
5 years 7 months ago #11 by mp
Replied by mp on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Hi Greg, is there a batch update modul to update the "old" census code to markdown? If yes, where I can found it?

Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de

More
5 years 7 months ago #12 by eyolf
Thanks a lot! This is what I love about the open source community in general and this place (and your contributions) in particular!

webtrees 2.1.16

More
5 years 7 months ago #13 by jcnventura
Just upgraded venturas.org/familytree to 1.7.10.. Browsed a couple pages. Everything looks good for now.

More
5 years 7 months ago #14 by avdl
Replied by avdl on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
every single item in this long list seems great,
Looking forward to the new version 2 webtrees.
Thanks to Greg and the team,
André

webtrees 2.1.16 with Vesta Extended Relationship, Fancy Research Links, Faces - Ghezibde is hosted by webtrees hosting

More
5 years 7 months ago #15 by miqrogroove
Replied by miqrogroove on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
If there is a front controller in 2.0, I would like to request built-in integration options for HTTP authentication on private/intranet type websites. This can be as easy as reading a username from the $_SERVER array instead of a cookie. I had to do a bit of hacking on 1.7.9 to make this compatible with my website, and it sounds like it will be easier in 2.0.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #16 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
sorry to send this:

I installed Ver 1.7.10 by using php7.0 because 7.1 caused an error.

All seemed to be fine and I started to have a look around.

Unfortunately the search function seems to have problems :

- the search for Maupiler gives no results
- the search for Boldt seems to work fine

Even the call for any individual doesn't work.
Some exceptions as this ( wt.rauhut.eu/individual.php?pid=342I&ged=GAC.ged ) work courious.
Families can be shown ( wt.rauhut.eu/family.php?famid=5169U&ged=GAC.ged ).

What went wrong with the upgrade of my webtrees installation ?

I hope this is a bug and not a new feature.

Who has an idea how to fix this ?

Both MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT families are using webtrees V2.1.18
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Andreas.

More
5 years 7 months ago #17 by fbrisola
Replied by fbrisola on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Greg,

Great work and great news!
I was afraid the development would have stopped.
I use the platform since early versions of PhpGedView.
I will install this alpha, test it and report any bug I find.

Best regards,

Fernando

• fisharebest
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #18 by fisharebest

Andreas wrote: Unfortunately the search function seems to have problems :

The search function works on my development server and also on the demo site dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable

Are there any errors in the webtrees error log?
Are there any errors in the webserver (e.g. apache) error log?

If there is a bug, then I need your help to reproduce it.

More
5 years 7 months ago #19 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10
Sorry, that I didn't look in the log file.
an error occours repetely :
/home/rauhut/wt/vendor/fisharebest/ext-calendar/src/FrenchCalendar.php:133 Month -6 is invalid for this calendar
#0 /app/Date/CalendarDate.php:156 InvalidArgumentException("Month -6 is invalid for this calendar")
#1 /app/Date/CalendarDate.php:129 setJdFromYmd()
#2 /app/Date/FrenchDate.php:38 __construct([GregorianDate])
#3 /app/Date/CalendarDate.php:490 __construct([GregorianDate])
#4 /app/Date.php:245 convertToCalendar('french')
#5 /app/Functions/FunctionsPrintLists.php:871 display(true)
#6 /mediaviewer.php:172 familyTable([array])

Does this could show you the reason ?

I'll be back in the afternoon. I have to work a little bit.

Both MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT families are using webtrees V2.1.18

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 7 months ago #20 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic webtrees 2.0.0-alpha.1 and 1.7.10

Andreas wrote: Sorry, that I didn't look in the log file.
an error occours repetely :
/home/rauhut/wt/vendor/fisharebest/ext-calendar/src/FrenchCalendar.php:133 Month -6 is invalid for this calendar

I suspect you have a date somewhere coded like "05 -6 1907" in raw GEDCOM instead of "05 JUN 1907". Maybe a general search will reveal which individual (or family) is affected.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13