Web based family history software

Question finished custom theme - Please Take a Look

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #21 by erostew
Replied by erostew on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme

fisharebest wrote: It depends on the tools you use, and the original image. You also need a proper alpha-channel, not a simple background mask.

Most of these were 128x128 or 256x256 originals. This makes easier to merge them, to create separate "add person to cart", "add family to cart", etc.

I'm really not that familiar with alpha channels and whatnot, unfortunately. I did find that by saving a screenshot as a tiff file I could make a somewhat passable fan chart icon. But I still didn't like it so I ended up taking a pie chart icon and removing one of the wedges to make a semblance of a fan, lol.

I did find one thing out today about customising the colors theme. If colours and the custom theme are both installed and theme-switching is enabled the initial page-load doesn't get a css file for colours or the new theme. I guess WT reads each theme's theme.php file so there is a clash between variables. I guess I will have to change all of the variable names in my custom theme.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #22 by erostew
OK so it's done--at least for now. (Although I stil have to figure out how to remove the conflict with the Colors theme.)

The name of the theme has changed from Parchment to the not very original "Tones". I did 3 sub-themes for it: Brown, Blue and Green. I made some fairly small changes to the theme.php to enable the switching of graphic elements between sub-themes and I moved the rtl css file(s) into the themes/tones/css folder, also to enable switching graphics between sub-themes under rtl languages. the fotter webtrees logo is also now switched for each sub-theme. I removed some code from theme.php which was removing the dropdown for "Color Palette" if theme-switching menu/dropdown was disabled for the site. It just didn't make sense to me to do that. This way my users can change colors if they want to but they are still in the same theme. I guess that's about it for changes.

Once again I would appreciate it if anyone with a little time to spare could take a look. Try switching sub-themes and let me know if you hate something or if you find something I missed.

Thanks!
Stew

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 10 months ago #23 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
Stew, JMO but I'm not fond of the near fuchsia silhouettes and in blue, the pink color for the female backgrounds. I'll review more this weekend.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #24 by erostew

ToyGuy wrote: Stew, JMO but I'm not fond of the near fuchsia silhouettes and in blue, the pink color for the female backgrounds. I'll review more this weekend.

Gpood points, thank you. I struggled a bit with the female bg colour in the blue theme. The same shade of pink as that in the brown sub-theme was screamingly hard on the eyes so I toned it down quite a bit. What I have there now in the blue sub-theme looks a bit "muddy" I guess, though the exact same shade looks okay in the green sub-theme. I think I will try to tweak the blue sub-theme just a bit.

Oh and I'm not that fond of the fuchsia silhouettes either. I just slapped that in from my PGV them becuz I couldn't find the psd for that. Guess I should change it.

• bonbonthejon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #25 by bonbonthejon
Replied by bonbonthejon on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
Were you going to release this theme to the community? I would love to use it for my site.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
12 years 10 months ago #26 by ToyGuy
@Jon, in post #13, Stew said:

Not sure if I will submit it or not for the simple reason that I don't know if I'll always be able to do prompt updates. We'll see how it goes.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #27 by erostew

bonbonthejon wrote: Were you going to release this theme to the community? I would love to use it for my site.

HI Jon. Glad you like it. I was thinking of putting it up in the addons area but there is currently an incompatibility with the colors theme which is stopping me. It's not a problem on my site because I just deleted colors from the server, but it does create a potential problem for others. I don't want to release anything that "breaks" anybody's installation so we'll see if I can get it ironed out.

Stew

• bonbonthejon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #28 by bonbonthejon
Replied by bonbonthejon on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
I haven't made any major customizations to the colors theme. If you want to send it to me I could help find any issues with it on a standard installation.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #29 by erostew

bonbonthejon wrote: I haven't made any major customizations to the colors theme. If you want to send it to me I could help find any issues with it on a standard installation.

Thanks for the offer Jon. I'm running an absolute stock 1.1.2 right now and I tested with a stock version of colors. I already know where the problem is: Variable clash in the theme.php of the 2 themes causes trouble with loading the css files. I've made a stab at correcting it but been unable to get it nailed so far.

Details of my efforts to resolve it are HERE . If you have any ideas I'm certainly open to suggestions ;p

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #30 by makitso
Replied by makitso on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
Stew,

You know, the clouds theme is based on colors. Only, its control files are more like the other themes. Let me know if I can help.

Rob

Rob
www.skatekey.net ( webtrees 2.1 beta GitHub)
webtrees forum admin
PHP 8.1.21
Hosted at tigertech.net
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by makitso.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #31 by erostew

makitso wrote: Stew,

You know, the clouds theme is based on colors. Only, its control files are more like the other themes. Let me know if I can help.

Rob

Actually I didn't know that. I haven't even looked at the clouds theme so I thought it was based on the old PGV Cloudy.

Edit: Took a look at the theme.php for Clouds and it has none of the control elements for switching and there is no problem having it and my theme or colors running at the same time.
So there is nothing to compare really :(

If you want to take a look at my theme I can send you a copy. I've kind of run out of ideas.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by erostew.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #32 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme

erostew wrote:

ToyGuy wrote: Stew, JMO but I'm not fond of the near fuchsia silhouettes and in blue, the pink color for the female backgrounds. I'll review more this weekend.

Gpood points, thank you. I struggled a bit with the female bg colour in the blue theme. The same shade of pink as that in the brown sub-theme was screamingly hard on the eyes so I toned it down quite a bit. What I have there now in the blue sub-theme looks a bit "muddy" I guess, though the exact same shade looks okay in the green sub-theme. I think I will try to tweak the blue sub-theme just a bit.

Oh and I'm not that fond of the fuchsia silhouettes either. I just slapped that in from my PGV them becuz I couldn't find the psd for that. Guess I should change it.

Hi Stew,

Would you try the following colours ?

EF5A50 (female silhouette)
B8D6EC (male silhouette)

...based on the icon :
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #33 by makitso
Replied by makitso on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
Stew,

I looked at your site and now see the problem. Given your current pallet selection setup you will not be able to run it with a standard webtrees release.
I recommend that you pick a single color and implement it like I did with clouds. Then with a readme file you can help a user change the color scheme manually.

Rob

Rob
www.skatekey.net ( webtrees 2.1 beta GitHub)
webtrees forum admin
PHP 8.1.21
Hosted at tigertech.net
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by makitso.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #34 by erostew

Jackie wrote:

erostew wrote:

Hi Stew,

B8D6EC (male silhouette)

...based on the icon :

Attachment not found

I'll check that out a bit later.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #35 by erostew

makitso wrote: Stew,

I looked at your site and now see the problem. Given your current pallet selection setup you will not be able to run it with a standard webtrees release.
I recommend that you pick a single color and implement it like I did with clouds. Then with a readme file you can help a user change the color scheme manually.

Rob

Hi Rob.

Not sure why you give a blanket assertion that I can't do it. Please explain. Is there something specific to the colors theme that is in the core of WT and not in that theme's folder?

Picking a single color pretty much completely negates my reasons for building the theme the way I did. My installation IS a standard PGV installation. Except, I suppose, for the webtrees theme all of the themes are optional and not standard, correct?

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #36 by erostew

Jackie wrote: [

Hi Stew,

B8D6EC (male silhouette)

Hi Jackie. The B8D6EC is not a bad shade of blue. It's similar to what I have but a bit lighter. It can be a bit tricky to have it look good in every color choice in the theme so in this case a bit darker is better perhaps. EF5A50 results in a somewhat orange shade of red that I don't particularly care for personally :)

I attach both in case you wish to use them yourself.

Attachments:

More
12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #37 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Re: critique requested for custom theme
Hi Stew,

Thanks but I don't need them. Just wanted to suggest a sort of red colour that fits with you milk chocolate brown to replace the fushia. The fushia does not fit at all with your chocolate brown.

The red colour is always difficult to ajust even when you design for the interior of a house.

EDIT : my hair colour will fit perfectly with your chocolate.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Jackie.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #38 by erostew

Jackie wrote: Hi Stew,

Thanks but I don't need them. Just wanted to suggest a sort of red colour that fits with you milk chocolate brown to replace the fushia. The fushia does not fit at all with your chocolate brown.

The red colour is always difficult to ajust even when you design for the interior of a house.

Oh I see :)

You are right red/pink is quite hard to do smoothly. Nigel has suggested using the same neutral colour for both since I rather hate grey. Maybe I will try to find something that will work with all subthemes.

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #39 by erostew

Jackie wrote: EDIT : my hair colour will fit perfectly with your chocolate.

Hehe. You're right. Perfect Fit!

I played around and finally went with a neutral colour. But instead of a light gray I used a dark Charcoal Grey.

Attachments:

• erostew
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 10 months ago #40 by erostew
Okay everything seems to be working under the 5 browsers I've tested it with. No more conflicts with the colors theme and it seems to be co-existing with the colors theme when both are installed at the same time.

I'm done tweaking (for now) and it's live with both my "Tones" theme and the Colors theme installed on the server. If anyone would care to take a last check and try changing themes and Colour Palettes between them I would certainly appreciate it. www.stronski.org/trees

Stew