Web based family history software

Question Themes stopped working on upgrade from 1.6.2

• Thorworx
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #1 by Thorworx
I was forced into doing an upgrade because of errors caused by my hosting environment.

I backed up everything and did a clean install.
Note: during the setup I chose my existing webtrees database.

Now, no matter what I do, I can not change the theme. Admin and the database show a different theme choice, but the site only displays clouds.
Added my previous custom theme to the /themes folder, but it does not appear as a choice in the admin theme dropdown.

Were there changes to the database that did not take place during my upgrade?

family.thorworx.net/
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Thorworx. Reason: Added link to site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #2 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Themes stopped working on upgrade from 1.6.2
If I recall correctly there was a change in webtrees 1.7.0 that causes a failure in loading custom themes written for v1.6 and previous. It even was so that one rogue theme could cause the whole theme mechanism to malfunction. But that does not seem to be the case.

Your first priority is to get it basically working again with just the standard themes. I'm afraid you'll have to do the customisations for your own theme again, or if this was a third-party theme such as Rural or JustBlack you can download a newer version to replace it.

By the looks of it, you do have a running webtrees 1.7.12 instance. Only I, as a visitor, cannot pick another theme. I guess there is an option in the control panel that prevents it: Control Panel - Family Trees - Manage family trees. Fourth chapter User Preferences has the option to show/hide the theme selector, beneath it is the default theme for your tree. For now please select one of the default themes. Similar in the User Administration select a standard theme for users that had selected a custom theme.

If there are only webtrees-provided themes in the themes folder, all should now work. After that you can work on getting the custom theme up & running again. Start by copying a standard theme that most resembles your taste, and incrementally adjust it.

Note that the UI of the control panel itself is redesigned and doesn't use a theme at all. Its menu doesn't have a theme selector as well. I guess the reason is that a failure in a custom theme could previously lock out the admin of his own site.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by bertkoor.

• Thorworx
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3 by Thorworx
Replied by Thorworx on topic Themes stopped working on upgrade from 1.6.2
bertkoor,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Apparently the specific "Family Tree" theme was overriding the main site theme preference. I had forgotten about that.

Control panel > Manage family trees > Family Tree -> Preferences

Now that I've got that solved, I'll experiment with my custom theme.