Question No Fancy modules and themes for wt 2.0

• JustCarmen
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
4 years 3 months ago #1 by JustCarmen
No Fancy modules and themes for wt 2.0 was created by JustCarmen
None of the Fancy Modules and themes (JustBlack/JustLight) are ready for webtrees 2.0 and probably will not be in a short time.

When developing for webtrees 2.0 started more then two years ago I followed development with interest and tried to keep up with the changes, but after a while I gave up. There were simply too many changes.
Moreover I've had a serious burn out last year. I wasn't able to work at all for a while. At the moment I am doing much better and I have resumed my normal daily activities. But it took me more then a year to reach this point.

Developing for webtrees was and is a hobby which has got a little bit out of control. Over the last couple of years I did this next to a fulltime paid job. That wasn't the case when I started about 10 years ago with my first theme for PhpGedView and later on with all the modules for webtrees, but my private circumstances changed since then. However, I could handle it in the old webtrees environment where I had to make some adjustments now and then to keep up with the core code.

But webtrees 2.0 means I have to start from scratch. It is not a matter of a few simple adjustments to get on track again. Since my burn out I've barely done anything related to webtrees so I completely lost track and frankly I don't know how to move on.

Therefore I have decided to bring back all my repositories on Github to the webtrees 1.x branch in the next weeks or so, to clarify these are not suitable for webtrees 2.x. Everything I did in the beginning of the webtrees 2.x development and placed on Github is largely worthless now because of the massive changes in the webtrees core code since then. It looks harder to pick it up from there then to start from scratch.

So I am not saying I will not develop anything anymore for webtrees 2.0 but I will do it in my own time and I certainly will not rush anything. I still do my own genealogical research and still have my own website for which I developed all the themes and modules in the first place. At that time I felt the need to adjust my webtrees website to my needs and I still do, but at the moment I am not sure if I am able to.

I hate to disappoint people but the truth is I don't know when and if my modules and themes will ever be ready for webtrees 2.0. So if someone is willing to take over the development of one or more modules or themes for webtrees 2.x, please get in touch.

Thanks for your understanding.

@Greg: you did a marvelous job. Without your dedication webtrees wouldn't be where it is today. Thank you very much for all your hard work!

Carmen
Designer of the JustLight theme (comes with a light and dark color palette), Fancy Imagebar, Fancy Research Links and Fancy Treeview for webtrees 2

Check my website at www.justcarmen.nl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #2 by mp
Dear Carmen, the theme justlight was one of the reasons for me to switch from TNG to webtrees some years ago. After that I also used other of your add-ons. Many, many thanks for your work. I wish you all the best.

Maybe other interested people will take up the thread and adapt the themes and other useful add-ons to webtrees 2. I hope so. :)

Martin - ffp.bauschaffen.de
Last edit: 4 years 3 months ago by mp.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
4 years 3 months ago #3 by thomas52
Replied by thomas52 on topic No Fancy modules and themes for wt 2.0
Ditto, Carmen, in spades!

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

More
4 years 2 months ago #4 by Manja
Replied by Manja on topic No Fancy modules and themes for wt 2.0
Dear Carmen,

Thank you so much for all the work you did. I will absolutely miss the Fancy modules when I'll migrate to webtrees 2.0, but I fully understand why you're not able to develop them. Take good care of yourself.

Manja

More
4 years 2 months ago #5 by rbader
Replied by rbader on topic No Fancy modules and themes for wt 2.0
Hi Carmen

I'm incredibly grateful for the custom modules and themes you've developed. But nothing is more important than your health and wellbeing.

I wish you much success with your genealogical research.

All the best
Ruth

Ruth

www.ruthsfamilyhistory.net/genealogy
webtrees 2.1.17
custom-css, fancy-imagebar, jc-research-links, jc-fancy-treeview, jc-simple-menu, jc-theme-justlight, repository_hierarchy