Web based family history software

Question Media restrictions by folder

More
2 years 11 months ago #1 by MikeT
Media restrictions by folder was created by MikeT
I've got over 4700 media files on my webtrees site: www.taylor-thomas.org.uk/familytree/ . They're all .jpg images. About 230 of them are photos of individuals on the tree and most of the others are scanned documents. I want the documents to only be visible to signed in members, so I've got a Privacy restriction set up on my tree's Privacy page restricting all media objects to "Show to members".

I can override that restriction for the photos of individuals by adding a "Show to visitors" (1 RESN none) restriction to each of those particular media objects. To make that quick and easy I've developed a module that allows me to add a restriction to all the media files in a folder, including subfolders if required (see attached screen grab). That's allowed me to add a slide show of photos to the tree's home page which is visible to visitors. The slide show automatically excludes pictures of living people when it's being viewed by a visitor - that's in line with my tree's Privacy setting saying living individuals can only be shown to members.

However, elsewhere on the site visitors are still prevented from seeing photos and thumbnails of dead people. A simple example is Margaret Helen Grant who is the third favourite listed on my site's home page. A logged-in member will see a thumbnail photo of her, and if they click on her name and select her media tab, there's a choice of three photos of her (as well as two census scans and a parish register record). Not-logged-in visitors to the site can't see any of that.

So my question is why does the global restriction override the individual object restriction everywhere except in the slide show? Is there any way to change that?

I have found a work-around for this problem, but it's not very satisfactory. If I remove the global restriction preventing visitors from viewing media files from my tree's Privacy settings page, and then use my module to add a "Show to members" (1 RESN privacy) restriction to all the media files except the 230 or so photos, the site works as I want. But I'd much rather keep the global restriction and only override it for the 5% or so of my media files that I'm happy for visitors to see.

So why doesn't adding a "Show to visitors" (1 RESN none) restriction to a media file object allow it to be seen everywhere, including thumbnails of that same object? Am I missing something here?

I used JustCarmen's Fancy Imagebar module as a template for my module, which was a huge help and taught me a lot - so thank you Carmen!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
2 years 11 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Media restrictions by folder
> So my question is why does the global restriction override the individual object restriction everywhere except in the slide show? Is there any way to change that?

The slide-show has a configuration option: "Show individual images or fact images (or both)"

Since it is looking for links to individuals (or facts), this has the effect of only allowing media that is linked to public records.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
2 years 11 months ago #3 by MikeT
Replied by MikeT on topic Media restrictions by folder
> Since it is looking for links to individuals (or facts), this has the effect of only allowing media that is linked to public records.

Thanks for getting back Greg, but I think I wrote too much in my first post and didn't make myself clear. I'll try and explain better:

I'm happy with the way the slide show works, and in particular that media files with a "Show to visitors" (1 RESN none) restriction are shown to visitors in the slide show even though I've set a global policy that media files can only be shown to members. That's exactly what I was trying to achieve.

What I'm concerned about is that those same media files can't be seen by visitors when looking at the pages of dead individuals. Visitors can see all the other information about dead people on their individual pages on my site, so surely these are media files linked to public records and ought to be visible there too?