Web based family history software

Question Entry Duplication Checking upon Data Entry

• ToyGuy
  • Topic Author
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 9 months ago #1 by ToyGuy
In case there are developers who never used Daniel Kionka's terrific java program, GDBI, I would like to propose that we consider adding the duplicate checking function upon entry of new INDIs. Once your data was entered and you proceeded to add the INDI, the process would check the gedcom (only text at the time as it was developed during INDEX mode) and suggeet possible matches, similar to autocomplete. You could then select someone from the list or proceed with adding your data to the file.

It was clever, pretty fast (given the stage of development of PGV), and convenient.

I know that Nigel supports this kind of functionality as we've discussed this in another thread and previously offline as well. While GDBI is not now well-supported (too many things have changed and there has been no posts on the help forum in nearly a year), Daniel is still about, reading and contributing on occasion to the forums, and maybe even prowling here. He and his system could be a valuable addition to webtrees.
-Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #2 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Re:Entry Duplication Checking upon Data Entry
At one time I proposed something with similar intent but a slightly different approach.

I suggested that there be no distinction of "add a new person" vs. "choose an existing person"

Instead, one would select "add a wife/husband/son/daughter/etc. and be offered the finder to select the person from the database.

Only after putting in some characters and scrolling to the bottom of the matches would they find the option of something like "Not found, create"

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.