Bienvenue, Invité
Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe :
Please do NOT expect all Feature Requests to be actioned automatically. Describing your proposal here will ensure the development team are aware of it, and they will give it careful consideration.
  • Page :

SUJET :

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #1

I maintain two copies of my tree. One on Ancestry, and one private.

I want to merge changes from Ancestry into the private webtrees one. Should be easy, since the data all original on Ancestry.

But when I want to 'merge' two trees (a temp one for the new data, and the old one), webtrees *insists* on me renumbering the records from one of them. But I do *not* want to renumber them!

If I do what webtrees wants me to do, I end up with two copies of all people from the private branch, with whatever extras are in the new one.

This is not usable at all. Please make it work in a more sane manner.

Connexion ou Créer un compte pour participer à la conversation.

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #2

• fisharebest
  • Portrait de fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
"Merge" means add all the records from tree1 into tree2.

Since they require unique XREFs, this is the only way to do it.

> Please make it work in a more sane manner.

Can you define "sane" in simple, logical steps?
Greg Roach - Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #3

Ron's problem seems very unusual, and not completely defined. If all his changes are made on Ancestry, then why not just replace the old GEDCOM file with the new one? There must be some changes/additions being done directly on the private Webtrees version -- which makes it difficult to combine them automatically because neither version is a strict subset of the other...

What about the following procedure? Ron should keep TWO versions of the GEDCOM file exported from Ancestry: call them A1 (previous one, already "merged" last time) and A2 (new one, might contain updates). Use some utility like unix "diff" to find the differences between A1 and A2, and use it to create a smaller GEDCOM file A0 containing only those records from A2 not also in A1. Now use the conventional Webtrees "merge" to add A0 to the private system, and rename A2 -> A1 in preparation for next time.

After running the conventional Webtrees "merge" to add A0 to the private Webtrees system, the only people who have duplicate records must have some new information added by Ancestry.

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #4

Yes, the private version has information which cannot appear in the public one (for instance), and may contain information added by people who have access to it but not to Ancestry.

As to what I *mean*, I should think it was obvious. Same record in two places; updates made possibly in both places. A "sane merge" will just merge together records with no conflicts, and present a list of difficulties to be resolved when there are conflicts.

Unfortunately, GEDCOM files don't necessarily have 'last modified' information, so that's a complication. But the user should be able to approve or decline the changes.

What you do now is "combine", not "merge".

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #5

• fisharebest
  • Portrait de fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> A "sane merge" will just merge together records with no conflicts

Isn't every difference a conflict?

Suppose you the same occupation in both trees.

1 OCCU Farmer

Then in one tree, you correct this to

1 OCCU Miner

When you merge the trees, the individual will have both occupations.

I'm struggling to see how the computer could know whether the
individual was a Miner, a Farmer or both.

> What you do now is "combine", not "merge".

Yup. The typical use for this function is to "splice" a new branch of your tree. Perhaps one provided by a cousin. You "combine" the trees, then merge the overlapping individuals/families.
Greg Roach - Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Less insane merge il y a 2 semaines 4 jours #6

If you have two conflicting records, you present the choices to the person doing the merge, for manual merging. It's not that difficult.

Furthermore, a person could have more than one occupation, and both might be correct at different times. You need to be able to accommodate that.

Futher-furthermore: (and not this topic, but what the hell?) it would be nice if you could attach a confidence assessment to various data. I haven't seen that as a feature (but maybe it exists and I just haven't noticed).

• Page :
Propulsé par Kunena