Web based family history software

Question EVEN/FACT templates with translation (e.g. for tags like _MIL, CITN, ...)

• ungeahnt
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #1 by ungeahnt
webtrees previously supported some customer tags, such as _MIL (military) and also 'no longer allowed' tags, such as CITN (citizenship).

These tags could be selected in the dialog and they were also translated by wt.

With V2.1 wt now wants to stick more to the GEDCOM standard 5.5.1 and corresponding tags should be replaced by EVEN or FACT. For example:
Code:
1 FACT Citizen of the Österreichisch-Ungarischen k.u.k. Monarchie 2 TYPE Citizenship
or
Code:
1 EVEN withdrawal from service 2 TYPE Military 2 DATE 1923

On the one hand the input of these constructs is more inconvenient and on the other hand one loses the translation into other languages.

Therefore my question, if it is considered to offer these and possibly other elements (like 'Military', 'Citizenship', ...?) in the selection dialog and save them internally as EVEN/FACT constructs and also offer a translation (at least for TYPE)?

The advantage of such a template is that the user does not have to think every time under which term and whether he has entered this as FACT or EVEN so far (=uniform dataset). Additionally wt can still provide a translation.

Dieter
Schmidt ⚭ Schwab (Sudeten) | Hauer ⚭ Bühler (Bayern / BW) | Маринов ⚭ Шаламанова (България)
webtrees 2.1.17 | PHP 8.1 | MariaDB 10.5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
> On the one hand the input of these constructs is more inconvenient and on the other hand one loses the translation into other languages.

If the type is written in English, and uses known text (e.g. the label of a custom tag), then webtrees will already translate it.

Here, "TYPE Citizenship" is translated into French.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• ungeahnt
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #3 by ungeahnt
Oh, thats great ... but I've tested it before with lower case 'citizenship' and with that the translation did not work.

I did not do any further tests, because I thought that the translation for FACT/EVEN is simply not implemented.

To work around this typo-problem, it would be helpful if wt provide the user with the appropriate keywords in the EVEN/FACT selection dialog. Then there can be no more problems with typos and case sensitivity.

I would find it even better - as already suggested - to list the corresponding events/facts as a separate entry in the EVEN/FACT drop-down menu (as in former wt-versions).
Previously, 'citizenship' was created with the tag CITN and now wt creates a FACT/Type construct for it. I don't see much difference.

If this is not something for wt-core, I wonder if this can be realized via a separate module. The module would add preset events/facts to the drop-down menu. If necessary, one could also add further elements to the module. However, the question then arises where the translation is located.

Dieter
Schmidt ⚭ Schwab (Sudeten) | Hauer ⚭ Bühler (Bayern / BW) | Маринов ⚭ Шаламанова (България)
webtrees 2.1.17 | PHP 8.1 | MariaDB 10.5