When in

Control panel
Manage family trees

Check for errors

I have lots of errors, but what would really help is a link to how it should be
Individual: I116 — Line number: 5 — 1 ADDR / Charleroi, /
Invalid GEDCOM tag. INDI:ADDR

Webtree 2.1.6, PHP Version 8.1.7, MySQL 5.6.51

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago #2 by hermann
Replied by hermann on topic Check for errors with more explanation
In general, you are right. But it is easy to detect that something is not in line with the GEDCOM specification, but it is nearly impossible to say how it should be. You have to know what was intended by using INDI:ADDR. Maybe the idea was to specify an address where a person lived sometimes. But then you have to specify a location where this person lived (using the RESI tag) and then add an address to this location.
So you have to read the GEDCOM standard (see webtrees.net/downloads/gedcom-5-5-1.pdf ) or use a genealogy program that does not produce illegal GEDCOM.

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

• mbeerli
  • Topic Author
More
1 year 10 months ago #3 by mbeerli
Replied by mbeerli on topic Check for errors with more explanation
Hello,
after I noticed the errors, I though why not import again and see if the errors exist from the export. They do.
I exported from Familytree maker 2014 in Gedcom 5.5
Can the "corrections" be made during a import? (Since the whole file is being imported)

Webtree 2.1.6, PHP Version 8.1.7, MySQL 5.6.51

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
1 year 10 months ago #4 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Check for errors with more explanation
Mbeerli asked

Can the "corrections" be made during a import? (Since the whole file is being imported)

In general no!

As Herman indicated some errors would be hard to analyze as to what would be the correct GEDCOM replacement code.

Many programs invent GEDCOM tags that would require an intimate understanding of their software to know what to change. Since I don’t own any other genealogy program I would not even begin to try to understand these errant tags without consultation with their developer or someone would understands that software. There are dozens of genealogy programs, none of them follow GEDCOM correctly, placing a immense burden on limited webtrees development time to write code to fix something that I would hope these other programs would actually put into their own software!

I have spent years working with various versions of GEDCOM. My hope is that once someone imports into webtrees and spends a little time fixing the errant tags to support the GEDCOM Standard this would be a onetime process.

Ken

More
1 year 10 months ago #5 by hermann
Replied by hermann on topic Check for errors with more explanation

Can the "corrections" be made during a import?

First, you can blame Familytree Maker. Ok, this will not correct your data.

webtrees does not change your GEDCOM data. This is brilliant! If you import the wrong GEDCOM, you can see and edit at least most of this in webtrees (if it is not too bad) and you can export it again as GEDCOM and all the wrong information is still there. This is brilliant, again. There is no other program with this possibility.

If you like to correct the erroneous GEDCOM then you can use some data fixes (select your tree in the control panel and then select a data fix). But there will be some more complicated cases where you have to edit raw GEDCOM and change it manually. But this is only important when you plan to import your data into another program or if you plan to move sometime in the future to the new GEDCOM standard 7.0. So don't worry, be happy! You have at least several months time for correcting your data. I needed several years for that ;-)

Hermann
Designer of the custom module "Extended Family"

webtrees 2.1.19 (all custom modules installed, PHP 8.2, MariaDB 10.6) @ ahnen.hartenthaler.eu

More
1 year 10 months ago #6 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Check for errors with more explanation

webtrees does not change your GEDCOM data. This is brilliant! If you import the wrong GEDCOM, you can see and edit at least most of this in webtrees (if it is not too bad) and you can export it again as GEDCOM and all the wrong information is still there. This is brilliant, again. There is no other program with this possibility.
It's been a long time since I used Lifelines but as I recall, it could import, store, and export any sort of deviation from "normal" GEDCOM.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/