Web based family history software

Question Residence - shared for a married couple?

• joseph
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #1 by joseph
I noticed that after entering a residence for a husband, it did nto show up under the mans wifes profile.

I am sure that there are rerasons why some married couple live apart. But, is there a way to automatically apply a residence of one spouse to another?

Thanks

Joseph

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #2 by drblam
Replied by drblam on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?

joseph wrote: I noticed that after entering a residence for a husband, it did not show up under the mans wife's profile. ... is there a way to automatically apply a residence of one spouse to another?

It's very easy to copy/paste the residence event from one person to another, so there is no need to create a method for applying a single residence event apply to a married couple or an entire family. Once you've created the residence event for the first person, click on the "copy" icon in the left column for the event (looks like two overlapping sheets of paper), which adds the event to the clipboard. Now switch to the page for the related person, and you will see "Add from clipboard" near the bottom of the Facts and Events column. (You can select any item from the list of recent items stored in the clipboard.)

I use this feature to create residence events from obituaries that name a list of survivors. First I create one event for the first surviving relative, then copy/paste it to the others -- making sure to edit the location field as necessary.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #3 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?
In GEDCOM individuals don’t “share” facts/events. Are you by any chance a FTM or RM7 (and maybe Ancestry) user? The term “shared fact” is used by these programs to represent FAMily facts and the term is used incorrectly.

Personally, I think that very often a residence can be occupied frequently by one spouse longer than the other, particularly when one spouse could die before the other, or the male spouse could own the property (or be living with his parents) before the female marries into the resistance. Another case that happens often in my family, the husband lives away from the family (wife and children) for extended periods while either looking for work or actually working.

Ken

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #4 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?
Gedcom officially does not allow it, but you can put Residence events in families. Then it appears for both spouses (not the children alas)

In the control panel you can change the list of allowed (or quick) facts. Just add RESI for families.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by bertkoor.

• joseph
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #5 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?
Hello,

I did find the copy feature.

But, now that I have a couple of copied ideas available to paste, how does one erase the copied items from the list?

Thanks

Joseph

More
3 years 11 months ago #6 by drblam
Replied by drblam on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?
Don't worry about erasing items. The entire list is deleted each time you log out. Also, the list has a maximum size of ~10; as you copy more items to the list the oldest items are discarded to make room.

• joseph
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #7 by joseph
Replied by joseph on topic Residence - shared for a married couple?
Thanks. This makes it easy. Forget them and they disappear!

Joseph

Moderators: makitso