Question NOTE formatting

• Phred
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #1 by Phred
NOTE formatting was created by Phred
Hi,

I could have this all wrong so please be patient.

Is there a facility to format NOTE data? For example bold, italics, table, li, etc? I’ve tried embedded html tags and UBB (just as a try) and they don’t format but aren’t removed either. I notice that url’s in NOTEs are treated as anchors (?)

I’m trying to attach research notes, analysis, action items, _maybe_ evidence/proof type items, etc to an individual (perhaps to a family or even a place). I take it that WT, as well as PGV, basically requires all data to be storeable in GEDCOM elements. The reason for formatting was to make templates for each type of information so that I could “cut and paste” into a NOTE and then just fill in the specifics. So an “Action Item” NOTE might for example have bold center “Action Item” br, bold Date: br, bold Date Completed: br, bold Action:.

Cheers,
Phred

If this should be moved to Open Discussion or New Features please do so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
13 years 7 months ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Re:NOTE formatting
Phred
Nope - only that which was added for Brian's outstanding effort, GEDFact Assistant, and currently used within his Census wizard for Shared Notes. For cross-site and php security reasons as well as easy import/export of GEDCOM-compliant trees, there is no external formatting of the GEDCOM itself. SN uses '|' for field separators and '.b.' for bold text display inbetween the '.start_formatted_area.' and '.end_formatted_area.' calls.

The existing editors for the HTML and FAQ blocks only modify information retained in the database that is not part of webtrees' GEDCOM v5.5+ export.
Hope this helps,
-Stephen

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
13 years 7 months ago #3 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Re:NOTE formatting
Fred

Stephen is right, there is virtually no support for NOTE formatting, and for the good reasons he quotes.

However, webtrees is NOT as locked in to a need for everything to be stored in a GEDCOM as PGV (in fact nothing is stored in it during use at all).

So there is an alternative that might suit you - it is the "Stories" module. If it is enabled, and configured (Admin - Module Administration) then you will get an additional "Stories" tab on INDI pages. This tab can use CKEditor for input (also a module that needs to be enabled, but I believe it is by default), so has a full range of HTML formatting options.

Each new stories tab needs to be started form the admin page (above), but once in place it an be edited directly on the tab itself. Only one can exist per INDI, but it can contain anything you want, including images etc.

BUT, this data will NOT be exported to any GEDCOM file, so cannot be easily transferred to any other system.