Bienvenue, Invité
Nom d'utilisateur : Mot de passe :
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.
  • Page :

SUJET :

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #1

Hi!
I don't understand how to properly add "bastards"(is this the right term? As it gets used as insult.)
I added the woman to the husband (who cheated) as "wife" but then removed the tick at the marriage box and then added a son.
The problem I now see is that the "new" wife (or better call it an affair) gets listed as stepmother for the "legitimate" children in the lineage. How can I solve this? Obviously an affair which ended up with a child does not lead the woman to be the stepmother of the other children and should not be shown in the lineage.
Thanks for your help!

Connexion ou Créer un compte pour participer à la conversation.

Dernière édition: par Roxxor.

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #2

• fisharebest
  • Portrait de fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
There are two ways to determine if your parent's spouse is a "step-parent".

One is the "social definition" - i.e. are they involved in the upbringing of the child?

The other is the purely genealogical definition - are they a spouse/partner of one of your parents?

It is very hard to define the first definition in computer code, so webtrees uses the second definition.
Greg Roach - Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #3

But the woman was never married to this man. So by definition she is not the stepmother. ( dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/stepmother )
So I guess how to solve this issue is to have not married additional partners not to be listed as stepparents. Only married new partners are stepparents.

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #4

The definition of “married” is not always concrete such as cases where you have “common law” marriage.
Ken

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #5

• fisharebest
  • Portrait de fisharebest
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
> Only married new partners are stepparents.

The code that generates the relationship name doesn't have access to the facts/events of the individuals/families along the path. Therefore it cannot, at present, know if a marriage exists.

It's is a known issue - github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/issues/3115

Fixing this will require a major rewrite to this area of the code (which is planned - but there are currently other priorities).
Greg Roach - Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. - fisharebest.webtrees.net

Adding "bastards" il y a 2 semaines 2 jours #6

Roxxor écrit: But the woman was never married to this man. So by definition she is not the stepmother. ( dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/stepmother )
So I guess how to solve this issue is to have not married additional partners not to be listed as stepparents. Only married new partners are stepparents.

The easiest of all solutions is to find a better definition!! A bit facetious, but it is a fact that many dictionary's are not regularly updated to reflect current societal norms. In this case this is also a common definition, from "Oxford Languages" and others:

A woman who is the wife or partner of one's father after the divorce or separation of one's parents or the death of one's mother.

(my emphasis)

Of course, it is also arguable that the "correct" definition might vary in relation to the people concerned. Each family may take a different view of how close relationships are, and how to describe them within their own family circumstances. That would imply the terminology should be variably set according to the option of the people involved - or should it be set according to the opinion of the person viewing the data??

At the end of the day there does really need to be a simple, functional, solution, and IMHO, the current code does that perfectly well.
Nigel

www.our-families.info

Hosted at:
Follow me at:

• Page :
Propulsé par Kunena