Web based family history software

Question Hide birth date of living individuals from members

• Michael Treanor
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #1 by Michael Treanor
I am just starting with webtrees (2.0.6) and I wish to hide the birth date of living individuals on one tree from other members. I have set up a user with the role of "Member" for that tree, and it seems there is no way to prevent that user from viewing the birth dates. In the attached, I show that an additional privacy restriction of the Birth event is set to "Hide from everyone" as an extreme attempt, but even with this the Member has no trouble listing individuals and viewing their birth dates, living or deceased. Is it possible for members to be restricted from viewing birth dates on a tree? (The Member and the Admin are the only users.) Is this possibly the fault of the GEDCOM file that I was given for this tree? (I discovered just now privacy restrictions may be working on the one other tree on my site.) Thanks very much!
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Michael Treanor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Hide birth date of living individuals from members
> I wish to hide the birth date of living individuals on one tree from other members

The webtrees privacy filtering works on records (individuals, families, etc.) and facts/events (birth, marriage, death, etc.)

It does not work on attributes of facts (place, date, etc.)

So, it is not possible to hide all birth-dates.
You can engineer a workaround for specific events, but not for all events.

It is all described here: webtrees.net/user/privacy

> In the attached, I show that an additional privacy restriction of the Birth event is set to
> "Hide from everyone" as an extreme attempt, but even with this the Member has no trouble listing individuals and viewing their birth dates,

I just tried this on my test site, and it worked as expected.
I was able to hide birth events from either all members, or all users (including admin).

Maybe try again with your attachment, so we can see what you did.
You may need to shrink it a bit before uploading it to the forum.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 8 months ago #3 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Hide birth date of living individuals from members
> Maybe try again with your attachment, so we can see what you did.
> You may need to shrink it a bit before uploading it to the forum.

Either you just did, or I didn't see it first time round. ignore....

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
3 years 8 months ago #4 by fisharebest
I've just set up the same settings on my test site - and all the births are hidden, even from the admin account.

Note that I didn't hide baptisms, and webtrees will use baptism as a proxy for birth in many circumstances.
Typically when showing lifespans (e.g. "John Smith - 1903-1980")

Also note that the individual list shows "estimated birth dates".
The privacy filtering works at a pretty low level, and the applicaiton cannot tell whether a birth date is missing or hidden.
So when no birth date exists, webtrees estimates, based on the available data (e.g. dates of marriage, death, etc.).
You can disable this using the "show estimated dates" option in the preferences.

> the Member has no trouble listing individuals and viewing their birth dates, living or deceased

Viewing *their own* birth date - or viewing *any* birth date?

• Michael Treanor
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #5 by Michael Treanor
Replied by Michael Treanor on topic Hide birth date of living individuals from members
Member has no trouble viewing any birth date that exists on the tree. The admin account and the Member account can see the same birth dates. The person who gave me the GEDCOM file told me it was old, so I am hoping it predates the present standard or is otherwise incompatible and webtrees doesn't handle the birth date as a result. I asked him to regenerate it, which he says he can do. I will post as soon as I load it back in. If that seems unlikely or you want me to try something else, let me know. Thanks very much for troubleshooting.

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #6 by bertkoor
Hi Michael,

The standard privacy setup in webtrees is to hide all data from living individuals, but allow members to view data of their own close relatives.
I'd have to check (don't know whether it travels directly through siblings or always via parents) but within 3 or 4 steps you're at the cousins of the member.
You can use the "masquerade as this user" function in the Control Panel to test it out.

You might also allow showing the names of private individuals to members. This is probably the safest approach and with the least hassle to set up.

You also have to check the GEDCOM data itself. I recall we had someone reporting a similar issue, turned out the exporting program had marked all persons as deceased (without a date) in order to bypass it's own privacy rules.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by bertkoor.

• patriko
  • webtrees 2.XX
More
2 years 10 months ago #7 by patriko
Dear All,

I have the same issue. Maybe I dont understand it. I want to show living individual without any event/DOB/age to Member/Editor.
"Show names of private individuals" shows only names of living people without any event (events are hidden)? Is it right?

1) blank new tree
2) added 3 living people (father+child, unlinked individual) with birth event
3) setting Privacy:
- Show living individuals -> Members
- Show names of private individuals -> Managers
- Show private relationships -> Members
- Privacy restrictions -> none (default)
4) testuser setting:
- Role -> Member
- Restrict to immediate family -> No
- Individual record -> none

5) testuser can see:
- Names of living people in Individuals list (wanted)
- Date of Birh of living people in Individuals list (unwanted)
- year/age in Individual page (unwanted)
- all events (birth) of living person in Facts and Events module and all other modules (unwanted)

What is wrong set?

Patrik

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
2 years 10 months ago - 2 years 10 months ago #8 by bertkoor
I think the best way to reason about this is that you want to keep everything private of living persons, except for their name.

Usually a member can see otherwise private data. That is not what you want, but comes close.

Try this:

Show names of living people: members. You had it set to Managers, but that is one step too high.

Restrict to immediate family: yes. Suggested distance: one step, so the member may only see private data of his very own parents, spouse and children. This is essential in achieving what you want, even if no immediate family of the member is in your tree, or when the member is not associated with an Individual record.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 2 years 10 months ago by bertkoor.