Web based family history software

Question Source type

• nativeangel
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #1 by nativeangel
Source type was created by nativeangel
Can someone explain this admin function to set this to none/facts/records a little better? I'm afraid the help text is eluding me..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Source type
In the GEDCOM file format, there are two ways to use a source.

1) You can add a source to an individual (record).
2) You can add a source to a fact/event.

IMHO, the first of these makes no sense at all. However, many people seem to do it.

So, if a source gives you information about someone's birth, death and occupation, you should add the same citation three times - once for each.

Out of laziness (?) people would attach the source to the record, using the reasoning that it supports all the known facts.

The problem comes later, when you get a fourth fact, such as baptism. Your record-level source is now asserting this fourth fact, when clearly it does not.

This configuration applies to the "quick entry" page that you use to enter new individuals. When you enter a source citation here, it decided whether you attach the source to the individual (IMHO very wrong), or to each of the facts you enter (right).

Actually, it doesn't quite do this. The form will let you apply the citation to each fact/record individually. So, this option actually sets the default check boxes on the add-individual form.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
10 years 9 months ago #3 by cj_nza
Replied by cj_nza on topic Source type

IMHO, the first of these makes no sense at all.

I attach source to the individual where:
a) I first encounter an individual and have no further data eg from a will, "to my son x ..."
b) different names are recoded for an individual on different sources (sources for the name(s) rather than an event).

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
10 years 9 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Source type

cj_nza wrote: I attach source to the individual where:
a) I first encounter an individual and have no further data eg from a will, "to my son x ..."

This is where Greg is saying the appropriate location for this is the WILL itself, and then an ASSO on the will noting that the son is referenced in the WILL.

cj_nza wrote: Ib) different names are recoded for an individual on different sources (sources for the name(s) rather than an event).

Not sure I understand this description of the situation. Must be in the translation ?? If I were to guess in the interpretation, if different sources mention different names, then a second name for that individual would be appropriate with an original SOUR reference.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

More
10 years 9 months ago #5 by cj_nza
Replied by cj_nza on topic Source type

This is where Greg is saying the appropriate location for this is the WILL itself, and then an ASSO on the will noting that the son is referenced in the WILL.

But the will is both an EVENT and a SOURCE. I agree with this as recorded in the INDI record for the father.

The will is also the only current known "proof" of the existence of the son. In the INDI record of the son, the will is thus the proof (source) for the "existence" of this individual. Granted the will is also the source of a name and could be recorded as source as part of the name structure.

not sure I understand this description of the situation. Must be in the translation ?? If I were to guess in the interpretation, if different sources mention different names, then a second name for that individual would be appropriate with an original SOUR reference.

Agreed, looks like I am in need of some coffee.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 years 9 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Source type

But the will is both an EVENT and a SOURCE

This is similar to other facts. A CENS is a source and an event.

eg from a will, "to my son x ..."

There are always facts....

The son was living when the will was written. Perhaps

1 DEAT
2 DATE AFT <date of will>
2 SOUR @<will>@

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net