Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ?

• LilleysLanding
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #1 by LilleysLanding
Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ? was created by LilleysLanding
I'm trying to be consistent and when adding a child I always click "Birth" (or Adoption or Foster) for the Relationship To Parents options in the first drop menu on the add child window. I apparently missed a few and want to go back and edit that to add in the right option, but can not, for the life of me, figure out where to edit it? I can edit the Facts & Events and edit Birth, checkmark the box for Birth and save but that doesn't work and it doesn't save with the check in the box.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance :-)

Lalla

"Why wish upon a star.....when you can pray to the one who created it ~"
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by LilleysLanding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
9 years 1 month ago #2 by ToyGuy
Replied by ToyGuy on topic Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ?
BIRT PEDI is assumed unless there is a special circumstance. Most of us don't record it.
If you feel compelled to add what is somewhat redundant, you can to it easily (well, sort of) one of two ways:

1) Use raw edit and add the code:
2 PEDI birth

or

2) Use the FAM page, EDIT - Change family members. Remove the 'offending' child and save. Now ADD the child and record the PEDI.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• LilleysLanding
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #3 by LilleysLanding
Replied by LilleysLanding on topic Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ?
Thank you. I wouldn't bother with it except that I started with it and if I don't choose it doesn't have "(Birth)" under the child's name on the left like all of the others.

Thanks again!

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
9 years 1 month ago #4 by thomas52
Replied by thomas52 on topic Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ?
I can assure you a year from now it won't be an issue. Keep your name pattern consistent, i.e. always periods after intitials, or never periods, as Thomas R. Smith or Thomas R Smith. This will help with search routines. Keep your place names consistent, i.e. always with 'County' or never, as King County, New York, USA or simply King, New York, USA, etc. Regularly check for errors, missing deaths or married names, place name errors, etc. Many of my children have a PEDI birth, but most don't. The ones that DO have the PEDI birth, are to insure the distinction from other PEDI adopt in the same family.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 1 month ago #5 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Edit 1st Drop menu when adding a child ?
Formal (officially registered) adoptions are a fairly moden institution.

In historic data, adoptions were informal and undocumented. One of my grandmother's siblings was an informal adoption - the local priest turned up one day with a newborn baby and asked if my great-grandmother would take it in.

It is good genealogy practice to only record facts that are sourced in some way. If you do not have a specific reason to know that a child is naturally born of its parents (as opposed to adopted), you should not record it.

IMHO, to blindly add "PEDI birth" to every child is a mistake.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net