Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.4.6). For issues related to beta or git version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here.

Question [SOLVED] Lost password and Error Message

More
8 years 4 months ago #1 by dick
Lost password and Error Message was created by dick
I forgot my password and was trying to retrieve it from MySQL database. I can go in the database but cannot find the page that show the tables wt_user. In trying to find it I did something and now have the error
"SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'barmanns_drg'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" Please help. and thank you.

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
barmannsbar.com/webtrees

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Lost password and Error Message
> I can go in the database

How are you doing this? At the command line? Using a application such as phpMyAdmin?

The connection details (username, password, hostname, etc.) can be found in webtrees/data/config.ini.php

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
8 years 4 months ago #3 by dick
Replied by dick on topic Lost password and Error Message
I went to Cpanel and MySQL to find webtrees. I was not able to get the th_files. How would I go to webtrees/data/config.ini.php. I am sorry I do not know to much about this.

Dick

When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 4 months ago #4 by fisharebest
> I can go in the database but cannot find the page that show the tables

There are thousands of different ways that your control panel could be displaying this, so it is hard to give you a specific instruction or tell you where to look. Maybe post a screen shot?

> How would I go to webtrees/data/config.ini.php

This would only help you if your cPanel asked you for a username and password. Since you didn't mention this, I guess your cPanel has the password built-in.

When you installed webtrees, you copied lots of files to the server. To access this file do the reverse. Copy the file back onto your own computer, and then use a program such as notepad to view the contents.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
8 years 4 months ago #5 by dick
I do have to insert a user name and password to get into the Cpanel. Can I post two screen shots here or do I go to Dropbox?

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 4 months ago #6 by dick
www.dropbox.com/s/jptepi1k5t23ij9/snapshot4.png?dl=0
If I did it right the two snapshot 3 and snapshot 4 in Dropbox is my screenshots. Do they help?

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 4 months ago #7 by fisharebest
I only see #4 - but it looks like you have selected the option to modify your *MYSQL* account. This is not what you want.

You simply need to change some data in one of your databases.

Go back a level or two, and look again.

More
8 years 4 months ago #8 by dick
www.dropbox.com/s/e8g0643qsk81np5/snapshot6.png?dl=0
www.dropbox.com/s/hi5hi5tsnp5tsqz/snapshot5.png?dl=0

I hope this helps. I appreciate your time. Since my friend died I have no where to turn for help. Being 83 I forget what I was told 6 months ago when I had a problem.

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 3 months ago #9 by dick
I have the error Message "SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'barmanns_drg'@'localhost' (using password: YES)" What can I do to get back into my webtrees page.
My page is at barmannsbar.com/webtrees
I did something because I did not remember my password. and cannot open webtrees now. Please help.

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 3 months ago #10 by fisharebest
Hi Dick,

I don't know if you received my email.

If you don't have the password and your server isn't set up to send email (e.g. to use the "password reset" function), then the only option is to update the password in the database.

You'd generally do this via a control panel. If you can let me have access to your control panel, I'll happily do this for you.

Greg

More
8 years 3 months ago #11 by dick
what do you need from me to get access?

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 3 months ago #12 by fisharebest
Hi Dick,

The info you sent was exactly what I needed.

I have reset your password (and emailed it to you).

I also upgraded webtrees to the latest version (1.7.2), and upgraded the version of PHP on your server to a more secure version.

Greg

More
8 years 3 months ago #13 by dick
Replied by dick on topic [SOLVED] Lost password and Error Message
Problem solved.

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 3 months ago #14 by dick
Thank you very much. I appreciate your straightening me out. It is working great.

barmannsbar.com/webtrees

More
8 years 3 months ago #15 by dick
Could you please update that again for me. I am the only one that uses the computer and I have started to write down my passwords because of my age. I tried to do what you suggested a while back by going to the wt_users but I could not open the database. I will write every thing down this time so I will try not to bother you again. I have 3 obits to enter and am trying to find a younger relative to carry this on. The younger generation does not seem to know the importance of keeping a genealogy record.
Dick

barmannsbar.com/webtrees