Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.0/1). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Very Basic Help Needed

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #1 by jpoole317
Very Basic Help Needed was created by jpoole317
I am trying to run webtrees on xampp, prior to- hopefully- deploying it on our web host for our family one-name study. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make webtrees work the way I hoped to make it work for us.
1. I want anyone visiting the site to be able to view the tree - no login or "My Page" required. Ideally, the first thing they would see would be the pedigree chart, but now I'm so frustrated I'll settle for anything that works.

2. And I want two people as administrators to be able to login and change/update/whatever.

Does webtrees not work this way? Will I have to require everyone viewing to login first? I have spent hours circling through the menus, and reading online help, and if the answer to this is out there, it is eluding me. Is there a site with configuration "ow to" information I've failed to find?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #2 by Jackie
Replied by Jackie on topic Very Basic Help Needed
Hi,

[strike]1 - Set an HTML block on the Home page selecting "Pedigree chart" in the drop down[/strike] This is not the way to add a "Pedigree chart". Sorry my error.

- Disable privacy on livings? Really? Better check the laws in your country. In mine, I am not allowed to publish details of living individuals less than 100 years old.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Jackie.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #3 by Jackie

2. And I want two people as administrators to be able to login and change/update/whatever.

There is no problem to have two administrators on the same website, simply tick the checkbox "Administrator" in the account of the person.

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #4 by Jackie
oops.. too quick on the button ..

Go to Control panel -> Users -> User administration -> click on the button Edit of the user, and Edit that user account.
Attachments:

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #5 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Very Basic Help Needed

jpoole317 wrote: I want anyone visiting the site to be able to view the tree - no login or "My Page" required.

That is already default behaviour of webtrees. But what do you exactly mean by "the tree"? My own tree has grown to the data of about 6.000 people.

Visitors must have a clue where to start! So what I have done on my site is define a couple of favorites and I have put that block on the right side of the Home page, and also above that I made the block "Top 10 surnames" available, with which they can navigate to a list of all the people with that last name.

jpoole317 wrote: Ideally, the first thing they would see would be the pedigree chart

Didn't we solve that about 5 months ago ?
But maybe the pedigree chart is not really what you want. That shows ancestors only of one individual, and that individual must be public.
Example of the pedigree chart on the webtrees demo site: dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/pedigree.php?rootid=i1&ged=demo

Another usable chart could be the Descendants chart, which then starts at the earliest person you found.
And the user JustCarmen has made a module called FancyTreeView . Live demo: wijzijnfamilie.nl/module.php?mod=fancy_t...on=page&rootid=I1993
That resembles the classic way a modest genealogical report is printed. It is ideal to put on the Home page, but you must select an appropriate "root" person.

jpoole317 wrote: now I'm so frustrated I'll settle for anything that works

Maybe you're just trying too hard to make it an ideal website before you are confident enough to make your site public. It has taken you now half a year or so?

I just started with using webtrees exactly how it came installed, only slightly modified the Home page by shuffling around some of the available blocks. And you should maybe realise that although you can offer some help in making the site easy to navigate, you cannot hold the hand of every visitor. Sometimes I email a link to a specific person's page to a relative, but from there on they should be able to help themselves. Click on the Person boxes, use the Search facility, etc etc , they should discover that by themselves I think. With a tree of even modest size you cannot display all ancestral lines on the first page. Just too much data.

Jackie wrote: Disable privacy on livings? Really?

Sorry Jackie, I nowhere read that was the intention...

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by bertkoor.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6 by Jackie
Hi Bert,

Sorry Jackie, I nowhere read that was the intention...

1. I want anyone visiting the site to be able to view the tree - no login or "My Page" required. Ideally, the first thing they would see would be the pedigree chart..

I understood jpoole wanted to publicly display his pedigree chart (he is a living person). That is the reason why I talked about privacy on livings. Of course, jpoole did not mention which person was the root ID.

You are correct, my understanding of jpoole's No. 1 was wrong.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #7 by jpoole317
Replied by jpoole317 on topic Very Basic Help Needed
Thank you for all the comments. (And yes, this is our second attempt to utilize webtrees.)

This site will be a One-Name study, not a personal genealogy- the database will be maintained offline, with only "public" information transferred to webtrees by GEDCOM, so privacy is not a webtrees issue. webtrees will be the "public" face, and will not be used as the primary genealogy database.

I think that my problem is that webtrees is too fully featured for the rather simple use we have in mind for it, and while the configuration may be obviously straightforward for those of you experienced in its use, I am finding it to be the most bewildering web application I have ever set up for our website. Hopefully time and persistence will overcome that.

More
8 years 7 months ago #8 by Jackie

jpoole317 wrote: I think that my problem is that webtrees is too fully featured for the rather simple use we have in mind for it, and while the configuration may be obviously straightforward for those of you experienced in its use, I am finding it to be the most bewildering web application I have ever set up for our website. Hopefully time and persistence will overcome that.

Hello,

What do you exactly have in mind? What do you want to display on your HOME page?
It is possible to set a pedigree chart on the home page, is this what you want?
It is difficult to help you because you don't give us enough details. Huummm, I wish I could be in your head ;-)

More
8 years 7 months ago #9 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Very Basic Help Needed
If you have already applied privacy-filtering to your GEDCOM file, then you can disable webtrees privacy filtering, which will help the performance of your site. Set all the privacy settings to "Show to visitors".

You can make the "home" page contain anything you want. Use the "Customise this page" option.

One option is to remove all the blocks and add one "HTML" block. This will fill the entire screen. It can contain embedded variables, such as #totalIndividuals# which gets replaced by the number of individuals in the tree, etc.

There are hundreds of these embedded variables (use the template "keywords example" to see them all). You can also embed any of the other blocks, so you could embed a "Charts block" containing a pedigree chart of individual I1 using #callBlock:charts:pid=I1#

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #10 by jpoole317
"(use the template "keywords example" to see them all)"
Where does one find " template "keywords example""?

• Gustine
  • Away
More
8 years 7 months ago #11 by Gustine
Replied by Gustine on topic Very Basic Help Needed

jpoole317 wrote: "(use the template "keywords example" to see them all)"
Where does one find " template "keywords example""?

Hello,

Add a new html block. Edit this blank block and then you can select a template.

Online publishing : webtrees 2.1 with Vesta Classic L&F + MagicSunday fanchart + Justlight theme + Fancy Imagebar + sosa²⁰ . Mageia 9 - php 8.2.
Offline editing : webtrees 1.7.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #12 by jpoole317
"Add a new html block. Edit this blank block and then you can select a template. "

#0 \app\Stats.php:6455 ErrorException("Uninitialized string offset: 70")
#1 \app\Stats.php:4942 arrayToExtendedEncoding()
#2 \app\Stats.php:5001 statsChildrenQuery()
#3 \app\Stats.php:67 statsChildren()
#4 unknown:unknown getAllTagsTable()
#5 \app\Stats.php:152 call_user_func_array()
#6 \app\Stats.php:168 getTags()
#7 \app\Module\HtmlBlockModule.php:97 embedTags()
#8 \index.php:110 getBlock()

???

More
8 years 7 months ago #13 by fisharebest
It looks like one of the charts is giving an error.

Is there something unusual about your data? Do you have just individual records with no families or something like that?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #14 by jpoole317
There are no charts. I was just following these instructions from an earlier post:
"Add a new html block. Edit this blank block and then you can select a template. "
And this error sequence is all I get.

(RootsMagic, Gramps, and Heredis are all happy with my Gedcom, so I can't be that "unusual". It is a perfectly normal set of records.)

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #15 by Jackie
Hello jpoole,

You did not answer my questions of post #8 above. So, I still have to guess what you want to publish on your HOME page...

If you want to publish a "Pedigree Chart", go to your HOME page. Click on "My pages" at the top right side, and select "Customize this page"

Then, follow my mini-tutorial in that screen shot.

You will then see a "Pedigree chart" block on the left side of your HOME page. You then click on the tools at the left top corner of that block and EDIT the root ID person of that Pedigree chart.

IF it is not what you want to do, please tell us...
Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #16 by Jackie
If more "mini-tutorial" images are needed..
Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #17 by Jackie

fisharebest wrote: You can make the "home" page contain anything you want. Use the "Customise this page" option.

One option is to remove all the blocks and add one "HTML" block. This will fill the entire screen. It can contain embedded variables, such as #totalIndividuals# which gets replaced by the number of individuals in the tree, etc.

There are hundreds of these embedded variables (use the template "keywords example" to see them all). You can also embed any of the other blocks, so you could embed a "Charts block" containing a pedigree chart of individual I1 using #callBlock:charts:pid=I1#

Hello jpoole,

Did you try to follow Greg's advice?

1- Customise this page
2- Add a HTML block, and remove all other blocks.
3- Edit this HTML block, and add the keyword example -> #callBlock:charts:pid=I1#
4- Save

Configure HTML block:
Attachments:

More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #18 by Jackie
Hi jpoole,

I tested two ways (HTML and CHART blocks) to add a Pedigree chart on a HOME page. Both work as expected.

More
8 years 7 months ago #19 by fisharebest

jpoole317 wrote: There are no charts. I was just following these instructions from an earlier post:
And this error sequence is all I get.

(RootsMagic, Gramps, and Heredis are all happy with my Gedcom, so I can't be that "unusual". It is a perfectly normal set of records.)

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it - just "unusual". You're getting an error in code that creates a chart of family sizes. You said you were doing a one-name study, so perhaps you have no family records. This would be "unusual", might explain the error.

I'm just trying to work out what's causing this, so I can fix it.

• jpoole317
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #20 by jpoole317
The GEDCOM I'm using for test is my personal file, which was exported from RootsMagic. I won't use the one-name study file until I move webtrees to our server- assuming I ever manage to do so ;). I can try other exported GEDCOM files if you think that the error is in the GEDCOM.
All I did was create a html block, select the template keywords example,and save. It doesn't appear to me as a casual observer that any form of charting was involved, nor was my GEDCOM., but I'm ignorant of the internals, so perhaps they are.