Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.2). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Automatic approval of new user

• comet48
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by comet48
Automatic approval of new user was created by comet48
Isn't there some way of automatically approving a user once they have responded to the registration email. I am unable to fing it.
Thanks,
Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Automatic approval of new user
I presume you have a mix of public and private data on your site.

An "automatic approval" would mean that anyone who registers would be able to access all the private data. Is this really what you want - for anyone to be able to access the private data on your site?

An approved user can send messages to all your other users. If you allowed accounts to be approved automatically, it wouldn't be long before spammers used this facility to create accounts and spam all your users.

I really don't think this is a good idea.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• comet48
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by comet48
Replied by comet48 on topic Automatic approval of new user
I understand therisk. Many of my users are in australia, and once they sign up, they want to proceed. They don't want to wait on me.
This was a feature with phpgedview. I never had any issues.

More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by kiwi
Replied by kiwi on topic Automatic approval of new user
Then why bother having registration (or privacy) at all? If anyone can register and get automated approval, you effectively have no privacy, so just disable it and save everyone the bother of registering in the first place.

More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by WGroleau
Replied by WGroleau on topic Automatic approval of new user
Have you looked at your logs? The quantity of spammers trying to "register" on my site is appalling.

--
Wes Groleau
UniGen.us/