Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.2). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question help making default individual not show as private

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #1 by acairo1
I am individual 1 (I01) in my tree. I would like to be the only living person that is not set to private. I want visitors that don't have a login to be able to see my details but show my parents and other living relatives as private in the pedigree tree.

I have my name restriction set to none. And I have my individual record permission set to show to visitors.

I01 is set as the default individual for charts and reports. but when I try to view the tree when I'm not logged in, I get the following error:
This individual does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic help making default individual not show as private
That's the right technique to use.

It is what we do on the demo server.
See the default individual dev.webtrees.net/demo-stable/individual.php?pid=i1&ged=demo

Since we can't see your site, I guess you need to compare what you have done with the demo server.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #3 by acairo1
Thanks Greg.

It looks like my name restriction was set to show to visitors, but not my individual record. I couldn't find a way to do it in the software so I edited the raw gedcom for the individual record and added "RESN: none". It now looks like the default individual in the demo.

I no longer get the error when trying to view the tree as a visitor. It shows my record at the bottom of the tree but now it shows blank white boxes for all of my ancestors. Before I migrated from phpgedview to webtrees, it would show individuals that were alive as private but would show blue or pink for their gender in the pedigree tree.

Thanks.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #4 by Jackie
Hi,

This setting is in Control Panel -> Family trees -> Manage Family Trees -> Privacy
Go down the page to the section

Privacy restrictions - these apply to records and facts that do not contain a GEDCOM RESN tag

Then, ADD youself and set "Show to visitors" in the drop down box.
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Jackie.

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #5 by acairo1
Thanks Jackie, I followed your instructions. But after adding myself and setting to show to visitors, I'm still seeing blank white boxes for all of my ancestors on the pedigree chart. Tried removing the original RESN entry I added earlier and I have the same result.

If I change the main individual in the tree to someone that's not living, it displays their ancestors with no problems.

www.anthonycairo.com/familytree
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by acairo1.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 2 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic help making default individual not show as private
Just a guess (it would be easier if we could see your site), but perhaps these white boxes aren't "private" individuals (which would be blue/pink), but are in fact missing individuals.

There's a privacy setting "show private relationships"

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #7 by acairo1
Edited my previous post and added link to my tree. Show private relationships is set to show to visitors. I know they're not missing individuals because they show up if I login, they're only blank for visitors.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #8 by thomas52
Keep your setting to living persons as private, but add to your I001: "RESN none"

1 Name
1 BIRT
2 RESN none

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by thomas52.

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #9 by acairo1
Still not working correctly. These are my settings under Control panel -> Manage family trees -> Family Tree — Privacy:
Show the family tree: Show to visitors
Show dead individuals: Show to visitors
Age at which to assume an individual is dead: 100
Show living individuals: Show to members
Show names of private individuals: Show to members
Show private relationships: Show to visitors

I attached a screenshot of my individual record when I try to edit the GEDCOM. Is the restriction correct?

Thanks.
Attachments:

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
8 years 2 months ago #10 by thomas52
This is something of a trial & error for me, but suggest you add a secondary restriction "none" to your birth event as shown earlier. Any different?

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 2 months ago #11 by acairo1
No, same thing. All of my ancestors are still showing up blank in the pedigree tree.
If I go to the pedigree tree (while not logged in) and change the main individual to my grandpa (I04) everything works fine. So it seems to be a permission related to a link between my default individual record (I01) and living (private) individuals.

• acairo1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #12 by acairo1
Was hoping it would be fixed with a new version, but I just upgraded to 1.7.4 and I'm still having this problem.

My record (the default individual) is showing up fine for visitors now. And if a visitor views my record they will see my siblings and parents as private because they are still alive. But if a visitor views an ancestor chart or a pedigree tree, they only see my record and all of my ancestors are hidden. My privacy settings have not changed since I posted a couple months ago.

I would be very grateful for some help. Thank you.

anthonycairo.com/familytree/ancestry.php...tid=I01&ged=2010.GED
anthonycairo.com/familytree/pedigree.php...tid=I01&ged=2010.GED

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #13 by fisharebest
It's really hard to investigate these sorts of issue without having the actual data.

But I notice that your individual page shows you as having siblings, but no parents. This seems odd.
anthonycairo.com/familytree/individual.php?pid=I01&ged=2010.GED

• bertkoor
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
7 years 11 months ago #14 by bertkoor
Maybe the data has changed over the last 14 hours, but on the individual page of I01 I can see there's a family with parent but both parents and thus the whole family is private, so you cannot navigate any further.

What I have done on my site, and maybe that could work out OK for you too, is on the Home page I publish a couple of public individuals (all my grandparents and some of the oldest ancestors) with a Favorites block. When a visitor goes from the Home page directly to the diagrams, then it will show I1 (me) is private. But the (at least my) idea is that they first have to navigate to a public record and use diagrams & charts from there.

That way my privacy (and privacy of my direct relatives) is protected but visitors can still dig into public data. Most of the random visitors arrive at my site because they googled the name of a public individual. So their entry to my site is through a specific public individual and not through the Home page.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 11 months ago #15 by fisharebest
The "families" tab shows the parents.
The "family navigator" in the sidebar does not.

Both should be the same.

Have you run the "check for errors" in the control panel?

More
7 years 9 months ago #16 by rbader
I think I've finally figured this one out, at least I've been able to get it to work on my website where I'm the default individual.

I did the following:

1. Added the tag '1 RESN none' to my record - also achieved by adding 'Restriction' under 'Fact or event' and selecting 'Show to visitors'
2. Added the tag '2 RESN none' to my birth - also achieved by clicking on 'Add new restriction' in the birth window and then selecting 'Show to visitors'
3. Repeated steps 1 and 2 for my parents.

This has now achieved a seamless flow from me to my ancestors while maintaining the privacy of all other living persons.

In my case I decided that I only wanted very basic birth and name information about me and my parents available to visitors, ie anything already publicised elsewhere. So I created additional birth and name entries, set the restriction of these to 'Show to visitors' but set the restriction of the original entries (ie my full name and birth details) to 'Show to members'.

Ruth

www.ruthsfamilyhistory.net/genealogy
webtrees 2.1.17
custom-css, fancy-imagebar, jc-research-links, jc-fancy-treeview, jc-simple-menu, jc-theme-justlight, repository_hierarchy